E-check...Yay!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-check...Yay!!!

I thought I was done with this but I guess this will be the last time I get checked. But i still got the nice lil reminder in the mail yesterday. So I have to find a way to run an EGR with a 4bbl and get my cats back on. I dont know if I'm gonna pass with the cam, but I dont think it will effect it much.

So heres my idea, either pickup a used 2bbl manifold and try to run it with a 2bbl and an old style egr. Or I can try to get a manifold for egr with a 4bbl and get the egr plate to go with it.

I still have 2 brand new cats from the old dual exhaust I had on before. I have a welder now so I can do all of it myself. What I will do is leave the headers on the car and buy flanges for a 2.5in exhaust and get a reducer and weld it to the cat down pipes so they will bolt up to the headers. I will get the impy 2.5in tail pipes to finish the exhaust and just use reducers to get the cats to fit up to it. Then after I get it checked, I will take off the cats and down pipes and put my off road h pipe back on, then weld them to the impy tails and I will have a finished exhaust after its all done.

If anyone else has any tips for me, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Older fords had the 4bbl egr stock....We put a 4bbl egr setu pon our 79 versailles when we built it up.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

My stang passed with 2 cats, a stock 85 Mustang 4bbl carb, and dry gas.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TommyN
        My stang passed with 2 cats, a stock 85 Mustang 4bbl carb, and dry gas.

Tom
        I remember you mentioned it, but with no EGR? How high were your NOX levels?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I have a 4 barrel egr plate in the shed. Might be spreadbore. 10 bux you can have it.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

We have a test that runs the car on rollers to 25mph. The test is only in the counties surrounding our city. The rest of the state no longer has to be tested.

I was hoping it would go smoothly, but unfortunately it had too high CO levels. I was running the same setup I did when it passed 2 years ago, a catted H pipe and a factory Ford Motorcraft/Holley that I jetted down from 62 to 60 on the primaries.

This time it was way over on CO, 3.47% with a max of 1.12%.

I added some bottles of dry gas (48 oz methanol) to the tank approximately 5 gallons and it was 2.66% CO of max 1.12 the second test.

This was frustrating, as it had passed OK 2 years ago.

I pulled the primary side of the carb apart. I figured it was running rich due to something not right in the carb. The OEM carb had been rebuilt by the previous owner with a cheaper rebuild kit with an off-brand power valve. I had drained the gas from it 2 years ago, but for some reason the O-rings under the power valve(surprised it was not a gasket) and the O-rings at the accelerator pump transfer tube were messed up.

I did the following to it. Pulled the power valve and replaced it with a plug reasoning that the car would not be under load so it would not need the power valve. I lowered the float level a bit (it was pretty low to begin with) and put in the next smaller set of jets I had (592) , which were almost the same as what I had been running. I put more dry gas in the tank, about 96oz more to the approximately 3 gallons of gas left from the previous day which I believe comes 10% oxygenated right from the pump to begin with. These are the results of the final test:

*********observed******standard

HC(PPM) 30.3 174.0
            CO(%) 0.01 1.12
            NO(PPM) 161.5 1285.0
            CO2(%) 14.11 NONE

Not sure which of the repairs fixed the problem, but I was happy to see the low numbers.

Comment

Working...
            X