headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headers?

i'm wanting to put headers on my 88 crown vic. i already had dual exhaust put on, with the back resonators removed, so only the front catalysts remain. i don't particularly want to buy a new set of headers, since i don't know how long i will have the car, and i don't want to spend a ton of money on this.

i know that normal headers won't fit, so i need the "shorty headers", so i was thinking i could just use a set of headers off of a stock mustang gt? which year mustang do i need to get the headers off of? and then all i would have to have done is weld some collectors onto my existing exhaust and bolt them on, correct? also, the o2 sensors would need to be moved, but there is already a hole for that in the mustang headers, which i could use right? or do i need to get new sensors with the longer lines attached to them so they will reach?

also, i was wondering if a cam would be something worth adding to my car, i just really like the sound. but how much would it cost for a decent one, and are they worth it or hard to install?
    Last edited by 88crwnvc; 11-26-2006, 03:45 PM.

Yes, you can use shorty headers. '85-'93 Mustang work best. '94-'95 also work, but they have an extra passage (I think for EGR?) that you don't use.

If you want to use your stock H-Pipe, yes new collectors will have to welded on and you'll also need O2 bungs welded into the H-Pipe. Or you could just buy a Mustang H-Pipe, which will have the O2 bungs already in it and no need to weld collectors on. The Mustang H-Pipe is the better, cheaper way to go in the long run most likely.

As far as a cam, I wouldn't recommend anything right now until you get the exhaust done and an HO upper/lower intake and throttle body. A set of heads too, your stockers are horrible on your lo-po. After you have that covered, a stock HO cam is a good choice for our heavy cars, and can be found cheap on corral.net.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If you aren't planning on making any other changes to the exhaust, its not really worth the trouble. The extra flow would be negated by necking down to go into the 2" exhaust, and quite frankly a stock motor doesn't move near enough air to make it worth the trouble. Sound is also not changed substantially either. Change the mufflers if you want to change the sound.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 85 year mustang headers are unique. They have the heat riser valve and the shields to provide heated air to the carburator's air cleaner. 86-93 Mustang headers should all be the same.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TommyN
          The 85 year mustang headers are unique. They have the heat riser valve and the shields to provide heated air to the carburator's air cleaner. 86-93 Mustang headers should all be the same.

Tom
          Now that's an interesting tidbit. I didn't know that. Thanks, mang!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

yeah, I forgot about that. The Mark VII LSC has those same headers, but the LSC used CFI. The automagic mustangs in 85 also ran CFI. Same speshul header though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X