Should I Buy Used Explorer Short Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Buy Used Explorer Short Block?

I am planning to upgrade to HO this spring.

I found a guy local that has a (supposed) 45,000 mile Explorer shortblock for $175. He stripped the motor and sold the Explorer parts, and is now left with just the shortblock.

That got me thinking about buying it, putting the heads, cam on it, then transferring other parts when I do the engine swap. I don't want to rebuild the short block, but used it as is. If I have to rebuild, then I just won't go there.

I see this as having some pros, and some cons. I realize that the Explorer short block will have better pistons . . . .

I'm seeking the input of the Grandmarq community.

What do you think?

What should I watch out for?

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Not much better, but it's a decent foundation for mods. And that's a pretty good deal. Too bad it doesn't have the heads...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

175 is a good deal.......exploders had hypereutectic pistons, same as all 93+ 302's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, the block isn't anything super special, its just a roller block. Honestly any 1986 and newer shortblock will be acceptable if you're not planning on running a crazy cam, boost, or nitrous. If you want to do that, I'd suggest replacing the pistons with something better than stock. Definitely pop a couple of the bearings and inspect them to make sure everything is in good shape. Usually the #3 main will be the worst of the bunch. If its not too bad, and the rods all feel tight, swap in a new oil pump and run with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Didn't some of the early 90's HO's come with TRW forged pistons?
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
            Didn't some of the early 90's HO's come with TRW forged pistons?

Dont know if there TRW but my 92 HO has forged pistons
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b
              Dont know if there TRW but my 92 HO has forged pistons
              '85-'92 HO Mustang/Fox Capri had the forged. Not sure about the T-Bird/Cougar HO from '91-'92 had forged or not.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yes, they're TRW but apparently there is some debate to whether its a true forged piston or not.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Stock HO pistons 85-92 are forged. Not aware of any debate. Not sure if the earlier HOs 82-84 had forged or not. The issue I have with the stock HO pistons is the intake valve reliefs are not wide enough for larger valves and the valve reliefs are not that deep. This becomes a factor for large valve heads with long duration camshafts.

Tom

Comment

I've heard it said that the forge quality was really no better than the cast, I've also heard people say the earlier forged pistons were really just hyperutectic, others say its a true forged piston comparable to an aftermarket one. I dunno, the ones out of my motor said TRW and they look like forged pistons to me. Beyond that I cant make any claims.

Comment

So the best combo would be the Explorer heads and intake on an 85-92 HO shortblock?
                      Nick
                      88 Colony Park LS
                      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I believe that E7 heads with port work can outflow GT-40 heads. I'm not sure, but Turbo2256b can undoubtedly shed some light on the subject.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                          I believe that E7 heads with port work can outflow GT-40 heads. I'm not sure, but Turbo2256b can undoubtedly shed some light on the subject.
                          Yea they can, that's a fact. I was just talking about a stock-for-stock JY build. I'm gethering info little by little for a supercharged combo I want to eventually drop into the wagon.
                          Nick
                          88 Colony Park LS

Comment

Sorry...JY=?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

JY=Junkyard
                              Nick
                              88 Colony Park LS

Comment

Working...
                              X