Cold weather alt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather alt???

Well, when the temps dropped into the 20's my alt started acting up. It will squeel something awful and my volts guage will show below 12v. It will go away for a while and volts will return to 14. Also it seems to want to do it at above 1500 rpm when it does do it. Looks like its time to put the spare 90 town car alt on.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Have you checked to make sure the belt is good and tight?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeah the belts tight, I dunno Im gonna check the wiring. It will stop squeeling if I shut off things like lights and heat, but then its cold and dark and thats no way to drive at night, esp with snow on the roads.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Could be the alternator bearings are taking a dump. Take the belt off and spin the alt by hand to see if it makes lots of noise as it turns over.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Could also be a bad battery.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            Could also be a bad battery.
            Would that be just because it's charging the battery so hard that it makes the belt slip on the alternator?

Comment

Yes.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking alternator working harder to charge a more drained battery too.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

x2 on the battery, that happened on my father's T-bird. is the starter lethargic and weak in the morning when you first start it up?
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Working...
                  X