No announcement yet.

1989 Town Car HO Conversion running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only Towncars in Florida can not have AC.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i would bet money that the stock egr spacer isnt sealing to the explorer intake

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Its sealing (I've checked twice) but the sealing area is like 2mm wide..............
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks to N A on here, I got a Lightning EGR spacer installed, and I installed an HO throttle body.

Put it back together, hooked it all back up using the Mustang IAC with the plug inverted and vavooooom!

Car idles like STOCK

I also gained at least 1,000RPM before it shifts now too, which is kinda freaky. I don't know if its pinging or not, kinda sounds like it, so I may have to switch back to high test, or, it could be the insane carbon build-up from it running so rich for so long.

In any case, it runs like a TOP!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help guys and a special thanks to Gadget for hooking me up with N A.

-Chris
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

I think this is where I say "i told you so" Good to hear its running properly.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              I think this is where I say "i told you so" Good to hear its running properly.
              Oh man, its SUCH a relief. No "racing" going on, but I know for a fact that the TC, with stock gears and the conversion is now substantially faster than an "Extreme" S10.........

Comment

Sweet dude! I have a 1989 HO converted towncar as well, except I wish I had explorer intakes and 1.7 RR heh. I had the same problem with surging as you did, then Scott and Thain dropped by and found that my EGR wasn't sealing to my intake!! As soon as I fixed that it idled "like stock" as you said. Sure is fun beating on ricers with a big old Town Car heheheheh.
                1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
                  Sweet dude! I have a 1989 HO converted towncar as well, except I wish I had explorer intakes and 1.7 RR heh. I had the same problem with surging as you did, then Scott and Thain dropped by and found that my EGR wasn't sealing to my intake!! As soon as I fixed that it idled "like stock" as you said. Sure is fun beating on ricers with a big old Town Car heheheheh.
                  Man, the look I got from the guy in the S10, I could NEVER get that look in the Capri or the Mustang because well, its a Mustang. There is, even by the ones that "think" they are "fast" some voice in the back of their head that puts up that "what if?" sign when they come across a Fox.................Now, a huge silver boat running on turbines, well..........There no CHANCE it could be fast, right? HAHHAAHAHAHAAHHHAH I literally broke out laughing man, I couldn't stop myself, the look on his face, well, it was one of absolute dismay and astonishment all rolled into one......truly priceless.

I didn't "race" him per se, he gunned it away from the lights, so I just kinda hung with him, he floored it, I hit 'er, pulled away from him, got about two cars on him, and then let off, and the look on his face as I went by him............ Never exceeded the posted limit

Comment

Oh, and to add, I put the ACT in #5 runner as well.

Comment

sweeeeet! oh man the other day, I was at a light and a yellow mustang pulls up with some 16 year old and his buddy inside, cranking their crappy music. I had a feeling they would gun it off the light so when it turned green, I floored it and he floored it....the look on their face when I started pulling away was priceless...priceless I tell you hahahaha. It was a 2004 or so V6 auto, I doubt I could hang with a GT, at least until I supercharge this beast!
                      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

the lightning EGR spacer is Required when you run an Explorer or GT-40 intake, the stock (bored out) EGR spacer simply wont seal and it ends up leaking vaccum into the back side of the spacer.

BTW... I have run my ACT sensor in both the stock location and in the fresh air intake. Really dont notice a difference either way.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
                          the lightning EGR spacer is Required when you run an Explorer or GT-40 intake, the stock (bored out) EGR spacer simply wont seal and it ends up leaking vaccum into the back side of the spacer.

BTW... I have run my ACT sensor in both the stock location and in the fresh air intake. Really dont notice a difference either way.
                          My stock EGR spacer wasn't bored out, the sealing area was minute (like 2mm) though, but after I used a Mustang EGR spacer gasket on it the last time, it didn't LOOK like it was leaking, but I'm sure it still could have been.

Comment

Just be careful racing people or you'll end up doing a heater core like I did. Install some washers on the feed hose to the heater core to act as a restrictor. Trust me, heater cores on these aren't fun, and they're less fun when the core is swelled up from operating at ludicrous speed for extended periods.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                              Just be careful racing people or you'll end up doing a heater core like I did. Install some washers on the feed hose to the heater core to act as a restrictor. Trust me, heater cores on these aren't fun, and they're less fun when the core is swelled up from operating at ludicrous speed for extended periods.
                              Doesn't '89 have the built-in restrictor?

Comment

Get an underdrive pulley...that way you save the alternator too....
                                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                                X