No announcement yet.

what makes a classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know adout other states but here in VA once your car is 20 years of age you are able to classify your car as a classic.

Comment

I have historic plates. Has to be atleast 25 years old.

The don't do classic plates here anymore. They had to be atleast 20 years old.

Comment

What are the "supposed" restrictions on Historic plates?

Comment

In Wisconsin you can get a "Collector" plate if you have a 20 year old car that has not been altered or modified in any way from its original configuration. It can not be operated in January without a 5 day permit.
          Qualifying for a state special license plate does not a classic make.

Comment

I think in VA you can get antique plates if it 25+ years old, but you are limited in miles you can drive it, and you cant drive it at night unless you get it inspected, other wise you dont have to.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Two years ago FL stopped the "collectable" tag. YOu can still use a tag from way back yonder, but they have to be original.
              2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Missouri Historic Plates

I get a log sheet for the miles I put on the car, only restrictions are 25 years or +. 1000 miles personal use. Unlimited for educational, repairs, or car shows. Doesn't have to be original. Mailed in for it and it costs 25 bucks, insurance is dirt cheap.

The good thing is you never have to get it inspected ever again and the plates look Identical to the regular plates. Just an H in front of the 5 numbers. Other than that they don't use any letters. The color scheme and holograms are also the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackup460

Yep thats what I was taught. Classics are cars 20 years and up.

1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX: The Boat
                  My first car.

My CarDomain Site

Comment

Originally posted by Benney002

to GMN. sweet looking Vic you got there
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Welcome!
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

so my 80 linc and 81 merc ar classics?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Evilcrownvic
                          Originally posted by Benney002

to GMN. sweet looking Vic you got there
                          Thanks, the only thing wrong with it is the steerin wheel. It's chipped at the top. Besides that the thing is MINT. Only 90,000 miles on it, and was mostly garage kept by an old couple.

@MarquisMan

I guess so.

1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX: The Boat
                          My first car.

My CarDomain Site

Comment

I thought it was 20 here in Viriginia too. Though a lot of the car shows are 25 and up only :-( I need paint before I start showing though.

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                              so my 80 linc and 81 merc ar classics?
                              I would not want to suffer the ridicule of being seen with collector plates on a 81 Grand Marquis.
                              As was mentioned already, qualifying for collector plates does not a classic make. Even if they are called "classic" plates in your state.

Comment

It all depends on the state...

In Texas: Antique plates are issued for passenger cars, trucks, or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique license plates may not be used for regular transportation; however, the vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance. The vehicle may not carry advertising.

Applications must be filed with the county tax assessor-collector. The specialty license plate fee for the five-year period is: vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years $50.30; vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years $40.30. These fees are prorated yearly. Of each specialty license plate fee collected, $.50 is sent to the county in which the owner resides.

If you want to drive it, then...Classic license plates are issued to passenger cars that are 25 or more years old. The fee is $15 in addition to the regular registration and other applicable fees. The application and specialty plate license fee is submitted to the Vehicle Titles and Registration Division.

The regular registration fee and other applicable fees are submitted to the county tax assessor-collector’s office when the plates are approved. Of each specialty license plate fee collected, $.50 is sent to the county in which the owner resides.

What is not expressly stated is that a vehicle so registered may legally display plates that were used in the year the vehicle was produced. Of course, in Texas, that means anything between 1975 and potentially 1994 or so is stuck with plates that used those stupid renewal sticker tags in the corner of the plate.

I actually submitted the paperwork when I had the Montego since I had a neighborhood association getting pissy about the car just sitting in the driveway and not being driven. I didn't have the current plates on it, but rather had the ones that were the previous set...any cop running the tags would have had the return comeback to the vehicle. Before the antique tages came in, though, I moved out of that area.

Comment

Working...
                                X