• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think in NY it's 25 years old.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
      I think in NY it's 25 years old.
      that is correct

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
        Originally posted by marquisman
        so my 80 linc and 81 merc ar classics?
        I would not want to suffer the ridicule of being seen with collector plates on a 81 Grand Marquis.
        As was mentioned already, qualifying for collector plates does not a classic make. Even if they are called "classic" plates in your state.
        but it isent an 81 grand marquis, its an 81 marquis brougham 2door

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
          but it isent an 81 grand marquis, its an 81 marquis brougham 2door
          Your nitpicking dude , I wouldnt get antique/collecter whatever until the car is 30. The Linc however is an exception b/c it will be basically restored. The 81 however nice doesn't qualify in the eyes of the general population, all they see is another Marquis .
          Whats the diff between a Chebby and a golf ball?

You can drive a golf ball 300 Yards

Comment

hahahaha, kevin, w3rd up my anti-rice dude?!?!

Comment

"classic"

I don't know about "a classic," but I think this body style ('96 GM) is classic:
              Attached Files

Comment

well as I have investigated this in the province of Ontario once before I may be able to help you. I found that it depends who you ask. Antique 100 + years, Classic 50+ years, 20+ special interest. This is the technicl definition. Most insurance companies call classic 30 years and over, and antique 50 years and older. special interest anything else. In my opintion anything that survived more than 25 years can be considered a classic.

Comment

holy random thread popup batman!lol i do to think classic is 25years

Comment

I got Antique tags on teh '82. She just turned 25 last November!
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I've read that Illinois allows a resident to get antique/classic plates for vehicles 25 years and older, but said vehicle can then be driven only 3,000 miles per year. My main reason to do something like that would be for the accompanying exemption from emissions inspections, but if I needed to drive a lot, I'd need to have quite a fleet!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

lol....i dont know why you guys didnt think of disconnecting the speedo cable to save from racking miles. cant get in trouble if you dont get caught. besides, hook it up whenever and disconnect for small periods of time. save trouble if you could only rack up certain miles.
                        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by Jackup460
                          Missouri Historic Plates

I get a log sheet for the miles I put on the car, only restrictions are 25 years or +. 1000 miles personal use. Unlimited for educational, repairs, or car shows. Doesn't have to be original. Mailed in for it and it costs 25 bucks, insurance is dirt cheap.

The good thing is you never have to get it inspected ever again and the plates look Identical to the regular plates. Just an H in front of the 5 numbers. Other than that they don't use any letters. The color scheme and holograms are also the same.
                          and don't forget the 100 mile max travel limit from registered residence.
                          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic
                            lol....i dont know why you guys didnt think of disconnecting the speedo cable to save from racking miles. cant get in trouble if you dont get caught. besides, hook it up whenever and disconnect for small periods of time. save trouble if you could only rack up certain miles.
                            Right, but with my luck I'd get caught. And I don't have a great deal of faith in Illinois cops being particularly charitable. (though maybe there's an IL cop on here who can contradict that)

I like to know the car's actual mileage (not to mention an accurate estimate of the speed I'm going!), so I'd end up keeping more than one speedometer. And if I drove on a trip from a state with a 100-mile trip limit like Enigma says, I'd be in deep doo-doo. That just seems kind of inconvenient.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

GPS speedo. No cables.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I've heard it's a minimum 25 years to be a classic
                                13'z Y QUE

Comment

Working...
                                X