3G Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G Upgrade

I have the new 3G alternator sitting in my trunk waiting for me to install it but I have one question for you guys-how did you route your cable back to the battery? Post a picture if you can. I still have to get the right length of 4-gauge wire and an inline fuse.

Found a nice write-up from a google search on an 89' Marquis too: http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/3ag/3ag.htm
    Last edited by nitroracer; 12-29-2006, 05:16 AM.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow, tho it's pretty hard to see where it goes. Look through the Townie part my SuperMotors.net account tho, you might see something there.

Comment

I am trying to do this as we ..um sit here... and I have no clue what the heck I am doing.I know I need the alternator and what else and lot of pics would be super! thanks
      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

You need alternator (the correct one, as there are two that look he same but ain't), 4awg wire, inline fuse, and that's about it.

Comment

check the 06 boulevard cruiser thread in scott's auto
          i route the cable around the front of the motor, comes out by the ac compressor

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Omg i just realized date of post disregard this/

Comment

ok I have the large alternater so I think I am going to need the large mount I havent picked up the car yet I'm just trying to get all the parts off this one before we trash it.

Comment

got pics

ok I got the thing out and it is the large one this is going to go in that 83 vick so I need to find a police 100 amp bracket.

I need to put new brushes in the alt. and i'm taking as much of the harness I can...I'm just not sure exactly how to hook it up...I never did this one before.
                Last edited by interceptor1985; 05-06-2008, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Wait, you're putting this in an '83 car? That's EEC3, which is different than EEC-4, so harnesses might be different. Look at the harness that currently connects to the stock '83 alternator - does it have a plug that looks like it can go in the Taurus alternator? I'm pretty sure it's different, which means Pete will be the one to help you out as I only know how to wire up EEC-4 and Chevy carbed engines.

Comment

CD all you gotta do is hot wire it to self excite.
                    I know theres a thread here where some one tells what wires went where, but i dont know for sure whats what.
                    But I do know that the 1G alt connection wont plug right in. At least one of the small wires that presses on a stud on the back of yours will need to be hooked up to the 3g for the warning lamp.
                    Another of the 3 on the 3G will plug into the stator plug on the alt, and the 3rd will be the excite wire, which can either hook up to the key-on wire that went to the original 1G alt, or wired to the big output stud on the 3G to self excite.
                    dont quote me on any of this, yet.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

A more complete list.

Large case 3G 130amp 7” mounting hole ctr to ctr (direct fit for 2G 65 amp)

1994 Mustang 3.8 or 5.0 ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                      1995 Mustang 3.8 or 5.0 ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                      1996 Mustang 3.8 only ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                      1997 Mustang 3.8 only ; Thunderbird 3.8 ; Cougar 3.8
                      1998 Mustang 3.8 only
                      1999 Mustang 3.8 only
                      2000 Mustang 3.8 only

Comment

Working...
                      X