Brakes go to the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes go to the floor

Last night when I went out with my friends I came up to a stop light in my car and the brake pedal went down to the floor. I checked the Master Cylinder and it was full. I pulled the vacuum line from the booster and plugged it and the brakes felt fine and tight. I did the brakes with all new lines and hoses a few years ago, they cant need bleeding already can they?

My question is, I have the original power brake booster, could it be going bad? When they fail, dont you just loose your power brakes? I know I probably should bleed the brakes but the front bleeder screws are siezed and I cant get them out. So I'd probably have to buy new calipers. I really wasnt planning on replacing them till I did the big brake upgrade this spring.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

I'd say check the rear brakes, check the hoses/lines for leaks.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I had my brakes start going to the floor last spring and it was leaky rear wheel cylinders. The fact that your master cylinder isn't getting emptied out is weird though. I'd check it again to see if it's drained down some now.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I'll look it over, it felt fine today when I was driving, just a little bit soft. I have new wheel cylinders in the back so I think they are ok.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

HEY HOLD UP THE SAME THING HAPPEND WHEN WE WRECKED THE GM DONT DRIVE IT TILL IT'S FIXED OR YOU MAY TAKE OUT A FENCE!
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Thanks for the heads up mang. Dont want to put my merk through a fence

Comment

I wouldn't want to put any car through a fence, putting up fences sucks. Is it possible the master cylinder isn't working properly?
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Could be the MC, I'd check for leaks and possibly re bleed the system.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I would vote the MC. My old 78 had a bad master cylinder and it would go to the floor sometimes and other times it would just be soft. But I sold it and got the vic so I did the right thing.lol
                  2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Bleeding the brakes is good maintenance as well. I'd suggest going though a car once a year at least. Bleeding it more often will help to prevent rusting. Brake fluid is an oxygen absorbent. So the older it gets the less effective it is at preventing rust because it becomes saturated. People that go to open track events usually bleed every few sessions because of the damaging effect of heat towards the fluid. Unless you get the good stuff that can take that kind of abuse.

Comment

Its water absorbant actually, not oxygen absorbant. Your $5 word of the day is:

hygroscopic.

But yeah, what they said. Bleed the brakes to flush fluid out of them and possibly a bad master cyl. If there isn't any air in the lines, and your bleeders are frozen, you should be able to get away with loosening the banjo bolt slightly on the caliper and bleeding it there. If there is air in the caliper though it wont get it out doing this.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If the bleeders are frozen get yourself a MAPP gas torch, works miracles when it comes to fighting rusted out parts.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks
                          If the bleeders are frozen get yourself a MAPP gas torch, works miracles when it comes to fighting rusted out parts.

I tired that trick, got it cherry red with the mapp gas and it wouldnt budge.

Comment

I looked over everything, no leaks and the master cylinder is full. The brakes feel alright, I'm gonna bleed them today and see how they are after that. Just wish it would quit raining, its friggin january and its like 50* and pouring! We have only had one snow storm and thats it, there hasnt been any snow on the ground the beginning of december.

Comment

Make sure someone didn't put oil in your brake fluid.....it's happened....

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Working...
                              X