No announcement yet.

Brakes go to the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you got the calipers glowing hot, you've boiled the fluid and introduced gas into the system. If the bleeder won't open, you need new calipers. Getting them that hot probably fried the seals in them anyway. Heating stuff with rubber parts that hot is never a good idea.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A bad master cylinder can cause pedal fade (or drop to the floor) without fluid loss.
      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Its been acting fine for a long time...I dont know what its deal was.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Oh my thread digging....

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

what about having brake fluid leaking into the brake booster, and the engine burning it off, my rear brake resivoir(front of MC) gets emptied quick, but all the wheels cylenders and lines are good, has this happened to anyone?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If its leaking fluid into the booster, you need a booster and a master cyl. It happens, usually you can see the fluid seeping between the MC and the booster. Replace both because the brake fluid will destroy the rubber in the booster. Also, if you ever get a new booster, most places wont warranty it unless you replace the booster too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea if it's leaking out the back of the master cylinder you should replace the master cyl and the booster.......easy way to check is to unbolt the master cyl from the booster and if the back of the master cylinder piston is wet, it's bad

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Another trick for stuck bleeders is to put a drill bit of the exact size of the bleed hole in the bleeder before attempting to break them loose. This prevents the bleeder from colapsing on itself and eventually breaking off. New bleeders (Even the self bleeding ones with the check balls) are a lot cheaper and less of a pain than new calipers.

Marquisman, that has happened to me. In my 73 Gran Torino. Replaced the master, no more problems after emptying out the booster with a suction gun.
                  "Owning a 9-second Import is like coming out of the closet.... At first it may be surprising, but in the end, you're still gay!"

www.myspace.com/nascarmechanic

Comment

bad master cylinder is my vote. Had that happen twice, on two different vehicles. The rubber in them goes bad, but the fluid stays in there. Get a rebuild kit, and you'll be fine.
                    1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                    1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                    1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Working...
                    X