Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stall when I put in Park - what could cause that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stall when I put in Park - what could cause that?

This one has me beat.

- Starts 1st time every time
    - Idles fine
    - Drive away. Never a problem.
    - Come home. (Engine up to normal temp)
    - Idles fine in the driveway while in gear. (Fine = steady, smooth at the right revs ~ 800 ??)
    - Aircon on or off revs stay the same (so it is compensating for the load changes)
    - Move gear lever to Park or Neutral ... stalls 8 times out of 10.

I have:
    - removed the idle speed motor (air bypass) on the side of throttle body and cleaned it out. Was pretty clean. Cleaned again with carby cleaner spray.
    - checked the electrical connection is OK to the idle speed motor (CONNECTOR OFF = car won't start. ON = as above)

Ideas team?

Car:
    302 EFI '86 Town Car

Rob The Aussie
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

I was going to say iac but I guess not

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

My car did that cause of the IAC aswell. If I put it in park or something the car would go to stall if I gave it a bit of gas it would stay running smooth. I also cleaned mine and it was pretty clean but I ended up getting a new one and it fixed the problem.
      Resident diesel addict

Comment

I would say maybe the emergency brake release on the shifter column. Not sure if yours still has it, but if it did, you'll find a white plastic half-moon shaped item on the steering column right up against the firewall. This would be inside the car. There are two vacuum hoses hooked to it. One is a vacuum source from the engine, the other goes out to a vacuum motor on the parking brake assembly. I'd pull and plug the engine line and see if that fixes it. Its common for those valves to start leaking.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On my E150 (302 with AOD) van, if I have the throttle pressure set wrong (too high), it will die when I shift into a gear.

If I adjust the throttle valve in the "correct" location, it shifts too late for my taste during heavy loads. So, it is now a adjusted a little more than it should, and dies only every once in a while.

You could temporarily remove the throttle valve cable and try it.

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Originally posted by 89GrandMarquis
            On my E150 (302 with AOD) van, if I have the throttle pressure set wrong (too high), it will die when I shift into a gear.

If I adjust the throttle valve in the "correct" location, it shifts too late for my taste during heavy loads. So, it is now a adjusted a little more than it should, and dies only every once in a while.
            That's not normal, not at all - I've had my TV cable adjusted to the max pressure (a notch further would rip a cable off at WOT), never had any problems except for under light to moderate throttle tranny would never go into OD before I hit like 75mph.

Comment

Working...
            X