big block swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big block swap

hi everybody....I'm trying to find as much information as I can on the 429/460 swap for my 2dr 85 vic......a big blocks going in it....period :megadeth:

what I need to find out is what the easiest way to make this swap happen (so I dont end up going primal on the install) and where do I get the nessecary parts....if I have to resort to it, I'll fab up some engine plates, or weld up some mounts....but I'm hoping for a more sanitary install.....thanx in advance for any help...

BTW...this looks like a much more friendly place than CVN....I'm hoping so anyway -Max

Well, unfortunately CVN has a member that has done that swap. Dunno how much info we have here on the subject, though we do have a member planning the swap.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Do you already have a 429/460 engine, or are you planning on buying one?
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

The guy on CVN swapped in 460 and a c6. IIRC He had to fab his own engine mounts. I think he tried the fox swap mounts but they didnt work. He had shorty headers made for it but i think the factory iron log manifolds fit. Needed a double sump oil pan too.

The guy on CVN who did it is I think 1fastcat or something like that I know he has a few cougars tho.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Welcome to GMN, it is a better place as far as 5.0 tech goes. Friendlier people too.

I don't think the guy on CVN got it running right yet either.

Someone wrote into the "Where can I find" section in Hot Rod several years ago asking where they could get motor mounts to swap a 385-Series into their box. I have searched and searched and searched and I cannot find it in any of my back issues. It was somewhere in the last six years or so.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

just buy a 1979 or older car with a 460 and put aluminum heads on it :evil: and dual quads, and a big lumpy cam, and a quickshifting 4 speed, and ......
            1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

he got it running, I saw vids of it. Just wasnt very fast at all.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

88Vic - I own both motors, gotta love big block power

89LincolnTWNcar - thanx for the tip...but no the vic's getting a bigblock...no 2 ways about it

mrltd - I'm a new member over there as well....I'm also reaserching the project on that site

which brings an interesting idea.....what about cutting out the factory crossmember, and replacing it with a fabbed up tubular one instead....sure seems like it could save some trouble here....any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by maxcarnage
                  88Vic - I own both motors, gotta love big block power

89LincolnTWNcar - thanx for the tip...but no the vic's getting a bigblock...no 2 ways about it

mrltd - I'm a new member over there as well....I'm also reaserching the project on that site

which brings an interesting idea.....what about cutting out the factory crossmember, and replacing it with a fabbed up tubular one instead....sure seems like it could save some trouble here....any thoughts?
                  If you can do it do it.

While you are at it, why not just cut the factory frame off behind the front suspension, build a tubular front end and swap in a Mustang II or a full size GM front suspension.
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Here's an idea - run two C-channel beams (one on each side)from the front crossmember to the engine crossmember at the level where the big-block motor mounts would be, this way you can just drill the beams and bolt & weld the new motor mounts wherever it works out best.

Comment

duce.....while I could shave a bit of weight like that, that's a bigger project than I really want to tackle (again). the reasons I've decided to stuff this into a CV are 1) I already have one, and a huge source of spares for it...and 2) the cars got a full frame under it....making things a ton easier when it comes to playing around with a budget (modifying a frame vs engineering one)

MeLikey - that would work....but probably not for the long run.....you'd end up with all that weight hanging on the end of the c channels which is not a good idea overall.....eventually, one, or both would bend, if not rip the welds out all together...bad news either way IMO.....the finished install actually is going to implement a whole new crossmember with the new lower engine mounts attached to it....I'm going to try and use a factory upper and lower, so replacement/duplication will be as easy as possible...plan b at this point is to move the factory crossmember forward and use engine plates....

Comment

I was actually thinking of welding the C-channels to the front crossmember and then bolting their rear end to the engine x-member where the stock motor mounts were, then welding some gussets around that area too. This way the motor mounts for the 460 will be much closer to stocker's location than to the front of the C-channels, and if you do it right your engine ain't gonna go nowhere.

Comment

Welcome, max!

I will be doing the project myself in the future as well, I am gonna build the motor first, and swap it in my car with a TKO 600 5 speed manual

I was going to go with the 1970 4V cleveland I got in my possession, but big block torque is where it's at!

This is going in my 1984 two door merk, see signature. Again, Welcome to GMN!
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Hey Max - I checked out your thread on CVN. I haven't talked to my buddy yet about the headers, but you can check out pics of the swap we did here:

The only pics not on there are the headers that finally fit. He put them in when I was out of town. The set-up he's running hasn't made the power numbers he was hoping for, but I think it's combination of the parts used and a gremlin or two in the engine build. (Have yet to work it out....personal stuff is keeping him busy lately)

I'll try and get more detailed info from him about the mounts, headers, etc. Better yet, I'll see if I can get him in touch with you personally...via here or CVN.

Ray
                            Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                            Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

jegs has a 460 swap kit for fox body mustangs.. comes with new mounts, deeper oil pan etc.. might check that out.. if they can cram a 460 cobra jet into a fox body stang, you sure as hell could get one in a box! good luck with the swap

Comment

Working...
                              X