Super Unknown -- stereo system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice

I have done numerous stereo installations that other people have paid me to do. I'm not saying that I am a pro - I'm not. I would just like to offer some advice.

I think that the best quality headunits are
    Kenwood Excelon
    Most Pioneer models
    Most Alpines
    When you choose a headunit , try to pick one with MOSFET circuitry.

For wiring the speakers 18 gauge is sufficient - unless you will be powering your speakers with an amplifier. In that case use 14 gauge. My preference is running speakers off of the headunit and not an amp.

That brings me to a VERY important point - another member said that a speaker with higher power handling capacity does not necessarily sound better - and he is sooooo right.
    Too many people think "ok , i'll get these 200 watt 6x9's and they will kick ass" . These high watt speakers are designed for use with an amplifier, not soley the headunit.

If your headunit has for instance 50x4 watt - this translates into 25 watts rms power per channel. A 200 watt 6x9 has about 100 watt rms. (usaully rms - continous power- is half of max). When you have a 100 watt rms speaker connected to a headunit pushing 25 watts rms - the speaker is not going to sound anywhere near as good as it SHOULD -. In this situation - when you crank the volume all the way up - it's not the speakers distorting , it's actually the signal from the headunit. Plus, underpowering speakers can damage them. It's worse for a speaker to be underpowered than overpowered.

Kicker , Pioneer and JVC to name a few all have low watt speakers available that when hooked up to just the head unit will sound great. Power matching is the name of the game.

Another factor to consider when picking speakers is the frequency response range. Usually a speaker with a broader speaker response is a better sounding speaker - not that you can hear 20hz or 22khz anyway .

If you are trying to put together a stereo that has good overall sound without an amp and sub ect..... I'd recommend sticking with 6x9s. A good way to make the 6x9 sound better instead of mounting the speaker under the rear deck like the factory does - cut a hole for the speaker in the deck lid and install the speaker there. You will hear quite a bit more bass and less distortion - they won't sound muddy and muffled anymore.6x9's have more bass than a 6.5 but aren't quite as clear. So what though - that 's why you buy some good dash or door speakers. That's where i'd recommend a pair of MB Quarts. As for getting bigger speakers in the front --don't. Go with a higher quality stock size speaker. The idea is front stage --rear fill. The human ear can't discern whether bass notes are coming from front or rear.

If you are going for a killer sound system then that's where you get the MB Quarts in the front - some sony mobile es 6.5's in the rear, a 1500 watt class D amp pumpin one Orion H2 10" sub in the trunk ( all running off of a Kenwood Excelon head unit).

Hope some of this helped somone.
    Moooove Bitch Get out DA WAY!

Comment

ITS ALIIIVVVEEE!!!

thanks Semma, for your input.
      I was actually glad to hear some positive marks for Alpine head units (my next will be one).
      My Alpine amps are pretty kick ass too! They are my favaorite Ebay scores
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Wow semma, great info!!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Wow. A bit of a bump here.

I wired S.U. for the 10" sub today. Ran the power wire for the amp down the pass. side. Went through a grommet in the floor to get the engine. Sounds pretty good. Now the CV sounds odd without the sub. The cool thing about it is that it's a quick switch from one car to the other.

Comment

il back semma 100% here, being the fellow audiophile, while my system is by far not the greatest, and due to my newly procured amp(ok, the girlfriend wanted mine cause hers was too much for her little stratus, so now im stuck with 1000 watts of bass and its overpowering the rest of the system, been too rainy to tune it all again)needs some work, but, 1: i cant kill my kenwood headunit, louder than hell, i had an alpine, ok, but after 4 years it died horribly, kenwood speakers=decent, but i like my eclipse 4 way 6x9's better, digital audio is ok for basic shit, the ones i have in my doors are so so, while the infinities in my dash scream, the kenwoods in my trunk are good for the parking lot chill out days, and, although ive heard mixed things., my 3 year old bazooka subs are still pounding away with about 1000 watts goin to them(only rated for 800, amps turned down alot)(up next, audiobahns, 12 or 15 inch....) my system is made of shit i got in exchange for doing stereo installs for others, stuff i scored from wrecks when i worked at the junkyard, or stuff left from my semi show car i had in a previous more ricer stage in m life, but it all works well, moral of this-anything can sound good, it depends on what you want what you spend and what its used for....
            jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

moral of this-anything can sound good, it depends on what you want what you spend and what its used for....
              Exactly. I wanted a little more than just the four regular speakers, so I went with a cheap amp/box/subwoofer (~$150 total from Walmart). It isn't a block shaker, but it adds the extra bass to balance my current system. Balance, it's all I ever wanted.

Comment

In the process of up grading the speakes in the merc. A modest set up Sony 6x9s in the rear with the grating removed from the under side for now. 6 1/2 in the doors. I believe 5 1/4 sonys are going in the front. With the factory premium sound its quite amazing. Certian noises like a car horn in an ad or such might make you jurk around to look. There are a few buzess in the body that need to be stopped.

I have a cd/am/fm unit to put in later. Previously had it in the other car with the front speakers run in series left and right channels. The 6x9s as the rear and bypassed the factory amp.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

i run two amps in my system.......a 4 channel for the midrange speakers, and a two channel for the two 12" subs the only speaker wiring out of the head unit i use is for the two tweeters.......sounds bland coming out of the head unit lol.....i can feel the music in my car hehe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

CD player going in soon. Also the old setup. The rear deck has wood under the pannel all the way across.
                    Attached Files
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I think I've heard Semma's sales pitch at Best Buy :confused: LOL

Comment

lmao
                        jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Working...
                        X