No dash light's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No dash light's

ok i was just driving along tonight and my dash lights all went out, i assuming it was a fuse that blew, i hope, now i hooked up my tripminder(clock portion only until i figure out the rest) today but i dident hook up the wire that dims it when the lights are on beacuse on my car the wire is brown, and there is no brown wire on the tripminder so i dident want to play the guessing game and end up frying the tripminder, any way would not having that hooked up caused to much current and blew the fuse? can i put a bigger fuse in, or could someone tell me the colour of the wire on the tripminder for the dimmer?

Not connecting the dimmer wire would not cause the fuse to blow. I would not suggest installing a larger fuse. Fuses blow when there is a problem, so check for damaged wires for anything that may have been added that uses the light circuit.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok, so is it probley just quinsidental (i think i spelled that right) that they blew out after i put the tripminder in? and i guess i know what ill be doing tomorow,,

Comment

If its not a fuse the headlight switch is the next thing I'd replace. I had to when I had no dash lights.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Another incentive to check the headlight switch - if ya don't have an aftermarket relayed harness for yer headlights then all the current for them is passing though the headlight switch, so if it's going bad it can very well start you a nice little electrical fire.

Comment

ya i could smell somthing electrical a cople mins befor they went out

Comment

ok,, according to my owners manual, it says that the 15 Amp fuse for the cluster illumination, also powers the tail lights, marker lights, pillar lights,etc,, well all that other stuff still works, so i guess it would be nothing else but the head light switch, when the dash lights went out i herd an arc in that area and the fuses are under the head light switch, so assumed it was a fuse, now would parts stores carry that type of headlight switch? and how do i get the knob off the front? i cant figure it out,

Comment

i dont think so cause i had um tapped up rely good, and they where still taped up this morning, when i had it appart to hook the dimmer up, the only other one i could think of is my tach light wire but there are no bare spots, and the wire his taped well at the connection,

Comment

If youre good, you can reach up under the dash and push the lil button on the switch to release the knob. Me, I just loosen the dash trim off that side, turn it towards the door and take out the bolts that way. Much easier and less likely to break the trim panel if u can get under there and pull the knob first.
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

If you dont have auto-dim lights, the switch is cheap. On my car, my light switch was like $28, but if I had auto lamps and digital dash, $200 for the switch. Thats probably Lincoln-specific though because Towncars have autolamps for the interior lights like others do, but they also have an autolamp circuit that turns the headlights on when its dark. I think that part is where it gets real friggin expensive.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok where bouts on the back of the switch is the realise buttion for the knob?

Comment

also, would a swith out of a '79 lincoln work does anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84
                          ok where bouts on the back of the switch is the realise buttion for the knob?
                          I think i remember it being on the top or passenger side of the switch, just behind the trim...so closest to you. It is just a tiny piece of plastic that you can push in that releases rod that the knob is on. Its a major PITA to get to. I usually just take the knob off, then unscrew the switch and pull it out. I dont think the knob is supposed to be pulled off, but yank hard enough and it will come off, and still go back on fine later, and easier to pull off next time

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

ok i baught a brand new switch today and installed it, but still no dash lights i must have some bad wire's or somthing i guess, ohh well ill have to go without them for a while till i find the problem, i dont have time to rip the dash apart now

Comment

start by un-doing what you did with the tripminder and go from there
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X