No announcement yet.

No dash light's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrace your steps, you may find something you completely forgot about it.

Comment

ok,, dose any one have a schematic so i can figure this problem out???

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84
        ok,, according to my owners manual, it says that the 15 Amp fuse for the cluster illumination, also powers the tail lights, marker lights, pillar lights,etc,, well all that other stuff still works...
        I may have found something here - Im looking at my 85's EVTM (bound to be very simmilar you yours) and I see the 15 amp fuse before the headlight switch. This diagram also shows a 5amp fuse after the headlamp switch for.... the instrument cluster, HVAC conrol, ashtray, clock, and radio illimunation. oh, and also the tripminder
        I bet you got discouraged and didnt continue to read about the rest of the fuses. I hope this helps
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

oh ok,, it may be an easy fix after all,, ill check that out tomorow,, and will hopefully have my dash lights back

Comment

but my tripminder still works and dims when i turn the lighs on,,,

Comment

so, for the past few days i haven't had dash lights. i checked fuses, replaced the battery (which needed to be replaced anyway because it was in fact, dead), tested the alternator (good), and said approximatly 325 foul words. tonight i decided to try and turn the dimmer knob down then back up to see if there was maybe a spot in the potentiometer that was good...the lights got brighter untill they were fully on. i then realized that turning the knob counterclockwise (which would be DOWN on every other variable rotary switch in the world) actually turned the lights up. that is when i kicked myself and cussed out a few more engineers. maybe that little anecdote will help sombody someday. by the way i found those expensive automatic headlight switches at napa for $41-62 for my mercury... http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...=15&SubCatId=4
              '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by ss_mini14
                so, for the past few days i haven't had dash lights. i checked fuses, replaced the battery (which needed to be replaced anyway because it was in fact, dead), tested the alternator (good), and said approximatly 325 foul words. tonight i decided to try and turn the dimmer knob down then back up to see if there was maybe a spot in the potentiometer that was good...the lights got brighter untill they were fully on. i then realized that turning the knob counterclockwise (which would be DOWN on every other variable rotary switch in the world) actually turned the lights up. that is when i kicked myself and cussed out a few more engineers. maybe that little anecdote will help sombody someday. by the way i found those expensive automatic headlight switches at napa for $41-62 for my mercury... http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...=15&SubCatId=4
                I have a question. Do you have sensors on your car for when your lights come on? Can you convert regular headlights to automatic? I would like to change mine from regular to delay. What do you have to do? Tell me someone.

Comment

i know there is a sensor in the dash and a complicated switch, that's about all. my question would be: is there a way to convert it to manual headlights should i have a failure with the auto ones?
                  '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX
                    I have a question. Do you have sensors on your car for when your lights come on? Can you convert regular headlights to automatic? I would like to change mine from regular to delay. What do you have to do? Tell me someone.
                    There is a ton of extra wiring/connectors and other stuff that goes along with the auto lights. would be a hell of a project, so probably not worth it. I thought about switching until i looked into it and saw the work that would be involved.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Dave, did you fix the problem? I had the exact same problem with my 2 door right after I installed a tripminder about a year ago. It was a bad ground with the tripminder wiring which kept blowing fuse #5. Check your grounds (black wires from both harnesses). One needed to be taped off for my car, the other grounded to the chasis. It was some incompatibility with the harness specific to my car and I did follow the write-up on here.

This circuit controls you dash lights, opera lights, rear tail lights, and high beams. Your low beams will work, just don't drive the car at night since the rear tails will be out. I tried replacing the headlight switch and even a 30 amp fuse would blow as soon as I pulled the headlights on.
                      Last edited by 87mefull; 03-21-2007, 11:23 AM.
                      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
                      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
                      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Working...
                      X