Power steering whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering whine

I think my PS pump is going out on my 1993 TC. Anyone know if it's any easy DIY job?
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Not too bad. 3 bolts I think. I do believe you'll also need the pulley removal tool. Try flushing it with fresh fluid first. Often flushing the nasty garbage out will shut the pump up. Even if it doesn't, you should have nice fresh fluid in the system so it doesn't gunk up the replacement.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The whine is pretty normal for these cars. Like gadget said, try flushing it first and add a little lucas. If its not leaking you might be OK. Mine whines from time to time. I should flush it again.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

How would one go about flushing the PS system?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Unhook the return line and stick it into a container. Remove the belt, and spin the pump by hand. Add fresh fluid as needed to the reservoir till black nasty crap stops coming out of the return hose. Reconnect return hose and top off as needed. I'd also suggest changing out the return hoses if yours are original. Usually they're rock hard and don't take well to being disturbed.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wouldn't doing that introduce air into the system? Sorry about hijacking your thread, Wes...guess I should really start my own thread. Meh.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

yeah the old lines are rock hard when I did mine back in September I had a hard time taking the lines off the only way i took them off was a razer blade. when you flush the lines spin the pump my hand do not start the engine unless you want to pick up a nice mess of of fluid put the new lines on pour new fluid i check for leaks rotate the wheel a few times to make sure the fluid gets in nice inside the steering box then your good to go I've never messed with a 4.6 pump before

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                Wouldn't doing that introduce air into the system? Sorry about hijacking your thread, Wes...guess I should really start my own thread. Meh.

Thats why you keep topping off the reservoir. On a 4.6 car with the remote reservoir I guess probably the line from the pump to the bottle would need to come off, and the line from the bottle to pump would stay connected. The fitting for the line that comes from the box would need to be capped off too otherwise the fluid would just run straight out. As long as you're keeping fluid going into the pump while its being turned, in theory it shouldn't get any air in the system.

Comment

I just thought that even if you keep putting fluid through it, when you reconnect it, you'd still get an air bubble. But, you've obviously done it and not had a problem, so I'll defer to the mang with the experience.

Comment

A little air isn't a big deal really, just as long as the system doesn't run totally dy, its ok. If it goes bone dry, its gonna be a pain to get all burped back out again. Run the wheel lock to lock a couple times once its all hooked back up, and it will burp any remaining air from the system.

Comment

i flushed mine and had no problems noise quit next day.

Comment

Working...
                      X