Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX 5.0 engine specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX 5.0 engine specs.

I just bought a (used) 1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX with the 302 CID EFI 5.0 (WINDSOR?) engine and I am desperately looking for these engine specifications : bore and stroke, compression ratio, maximum RPM, maximum torque and horsepower (or kW)?
    These informations are pretty easy to find for the previous versions (but which are carburated), and for the later models (but 4.6l engines).
    Thanks for Your help!

It's SEFI - Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection. CFI is on the '83-'85 CV's looks similar to a carb at a glance. There is no mistaking SEFI for a carb.

Yes, it is a Windsor engine.

Bore is 4in, Stroke is 3in. Compression is 8.9:1. Max RPM is stock form is probably around 5K. The valves float after that and you don't get too far. Peak power numbers depend on your exhaust:
    - Single Exhaust: 150hp @ 3200, 270 lb-ft @ 2000
    - Dual Exhaust: 160hp @ 3400, 280lb-ft @ 2200

Hope this helps and welcome to GMN!
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Hi, Mike. Welcome to GMN! The bore and stroke for the 302 (and yes, it is a Windsor engine) are 4" and 3", respectively. Compression ratio is 8.9:1, horsepower is 150 HP@3200 RPM (160@3400 with dual exhaust), and torque is 270@2000 RPM (280@2200 with dual exhaust). Maximum RPM is going to be in the low 4000 RPM range because of the transmission governor. That seems low, I know, but with the way these engines are cammed, and with the way the exhaust system, intake manifold, and heads/ports are designed, they run out of steam pretty quick if you try to run them much faster than that anyway.

Hope this helps, and once again, welcome to GMN!

Woops--I see Tiggie got to this just a couple minutes before I did.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Thanks for the info,
        it's a single exhaust, so it should be 150hp@3200rpm.
        On the car registration it says 168 kW,(approx 220HP), is that compatible with the 150@3200 or a mistake ?
        Regards
        mfmagicmike

Comment

220 HP is more like an HO engine, and your car wouldn't have that. Sounds like a mistake to me.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

That has to be a mistake. The DMV isn't known to be the exact resource when it comes to correctness. I usually have to tell them the fees for renewal when I go .

EDIT: Ooo Nathan got it first this time!
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I bought this car in Germany in January

Canadian made, California driven, exported to Germany and now it is in Paris, France, with proud 230 000 miles (working fine!).
              French officials are very tough on US cars and in order to get a license plate, I have to submit it to numerous inspections, because nothing on/in/under the car meets european security norms (it certainly does, but Ford never imported this car).
              Thus I have to make a complete and accurate description (in french of course) of the engine, transmission (with ratios), differential, brakes...
              Therefore Your information is very important, so let me thank You again (and for the welcome too.

Comment

You're welcome, Mike. let us know if we can help you out with any other stats, or any other questions you might have about it.

Comment

any chance of some pictures of your car in front of maybe the Eiffel tower, arc de triumph, or maybe the Louvre?
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Dat would be da BOMB!!!!
                    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Here it is,
                      Not by the Eiffel tower, only Rhein-side (Freiburg, Germany), but as soon as I get the license plates, I will post pictures from downtown Paris.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	1245461

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	1245462

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	1245463

Comment

Sweet! A European Panther!

Welcome to GMN! And again if you need any info just let us know and we'll get back to you asap! As I am sure you are aware it is very rare to see these cars in other continents.

Comment

i would not think the car would be bad to drive in Germany, but how is it to drive in Paris with those narrow streets?
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Driving in Paris is possible, but You need to look out were You re going. Big boulevards are OK and a car like this one makes everybody stop (out of respect for this american beauty of course). By the way a real eyecatcher.

PS for blaze86vic: must be the only Ford LTD Crown Vic in this condition in France, probably about 10 in France at most

Comment

Does anyone know 1989 Ford AOD transmission ratios? Here are the ones I have: first gear : 2.40; second gear: 1.47; third gear : 1.00; fourth gear: 0.67; reverse gear unknown.

Thanks for Your advice

Comment

Working...
                              X