Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

{CARB-SWAP}2 days, two toasted duraspark boxes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{CARB-SWAP}2 days, two toasted duraspark boxes..

Yep, I belive I just toasted the second one.

I am running:
    1984 ford E150 Van 302 2bbl duraspark distributor.
    1984 Mustang GT 4bbl Duraspark box

I was told by someone (TommN I belive) that the spark curve is different for the two. Maybe hes right?

I will get a van module otmmarow, and see how it works..

GMGT
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

:cuss:
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

You have the wrong distributor, but it has nothing to do with the spark curve. The spark curve is dictated by the weights and springs in the distributor. If you walk up to the friendly librarian at your local parts counter and ask for a module and distributor for a Mustang GT with a 5.0 HO carb motor (except 1985) and you ask for a module and distributor for a E150 with a 302 2V, they will bring you 2 of the same distributors and modules.
      There is no difference in the parts listings. A "blue" module is a "blue" module.
      There are only 2 different 302 Duraspark II distributor listings. One for a 1985 HO motor with a steel gear (roller cam), and one for all other 302 Duraspark II applications.
      You need the distributor for the 1985 Mustang GT with the steel gear for your GM or you are going to destroy your distributor gear.

Comment

Get the MSD 5 like I said!!! If you use teh same dis later, no prob!
        Of you use a dif dis get the 6 AL!

Fuck bro, get anything but stock shit!!!

Please?

Don'tmake me come over there!!!!!!
        2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

they will bring you 2 of the same distributors and modules
          A "blue" module is a "blue" module
          Exactly what I've been telling him. He was also tellin me something about the distributor wires being different colors than what I have and every other picture i can come across.

He has an 84, so its non-roller and the steel gear you recommend will be doing the damage Advance dist. Cardone part # 302899 click here for image is what it should be.

My parts were for a 4bbl '83 stang GT, and I'm on the original module. I must have done something right

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

that sux
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
              He has an 84, so its non-roller and the steel gear you recommend will be doing the damage
              Ooops....I shouldn't post before 6:00AM. I forgot that we were talking about an 84.
              Let's try this again..........
              Tom has the correct distributor and box for his application. A "Blue" box is a "Blue" box. It is either defective parts or operator error with the installation if you are cooking new boxes.
              What color are the distributor wires? It is hard to tell from the posted pic.

Comment

Originally posted by blazingstang
                Get the MSD 5 like I said!!! If you use teh same dis later, no prob!
                Of you use a dif dis get the 6 AL!
                You can use the Duraspark distributor with a 6AL or Digital 6 also.

Comment

The other thing that I am wondering about is what the difference in primary resistance between your square coil and a canister coil that would have come with a Duraspark system. I don't know if the difference would heat up and cook your box or not.

Comment

:nonono:

FYI: I have 3 wire from the dist...a black, black with purple stripe, and a black with red stripe...

Comment

I run an MSD blaster TFI coil on my duraspark box just fine. Plenty of people run TFI coils with duraspark boxes, especially offroaders cause its a sealed design and can be mounted any way they need, including upside down

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by grand_marquis_gt
                        FYI: I have 3 wire from the dist...a black, black with purple stripe, and a black with red stripe...
                        My personal interpretation in comparison to the more common color code without looking up a diagram,

black =black
                        black/purple = purple
                        black/red = orange

I will pull out all of my older schematics later once I get home.

Comment

Yeah dude, thts how I interpreted it, and how it is wired...

Comment

Here is a link to wiring a duraspark box:

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5894

I believe the van distributor will have a different spark curve in the distributor than a Mustang distributor. Here is a link on how to recurve a duraspark:

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5543

Good luck fixing it.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TommyN
                              Here is a link on how to recurve a duraspark:
                              http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5543
                              Good info for once the bugs are worked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X