My 1979 Country Squire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1979 Country Squire

I just uploaded some new pictures of the Squire to Picasaweb, and Colin pointed out I should post it on here. I took the pics in part because Blaze86Vic wanted closeups of the clear turn signal lamps. The car is still pretty much a heap, but I'm getting ready to think about some cosmetic work just to make it nicer to drive. Once I get a better place to work on it, maybe I can address things like the gaping holes in the floorpans!

If you haven't seen it already, I have a poll on the Squire's pages at http://www.cardomain.com/id/1987cp so you can tell me how you think I should handle things.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcwest2002/GMNRelated

(Yeah, it's late and I'm feeling lazy ... I'll have to post more of a story on here sometime soon!)
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

you can save her!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

That splined steering shaft will torture you as it is torturing me. I think I may just swap to a newer column to be able to use the newer steering wheels I've found.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
        That splined steering shaft will torture you as it is torturing me. I think I may just swap to a newer column to be able to use the newer steering wheels I've found.
        That's an idea, and maybe not such a bad one since the steering shaft feels kind of sloppy anyway. I've thought of going aftermarket, but I really like the factory cruise control buttons.

Comment

I did see a NOS '79 Mustang wheel at a swap meet, but it was the wrong color, really expensive, and didn't have cruise control buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
            I did see a NOS '79 Mustang wheel at a swap meet, but it was the wrong color, really expensive, and didn't have cruise control buttons.
            I see them pop up on eBay from time to time, always without cruise control.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
              when i tried to put boxmans wheel on the first time, we had the weird splined adaptor, and had to return it for the correct one.........ford probably used alot of torino parts on the first panthers......my 78 cougar had the d8 heads also

nice 79 wagon mang.........make it like brandy new!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

you have some awesome waggins mang!!!!!! hooray clears!!!
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                  nice 79 wagon mang.........make it like brandy new!
                  Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                  you have some awesome waggins mang!!!!!! hooray clears!!!
                  Gee, thanks guys!

Comment

Looks good. I got kinda cornfused reading your cardomain page, does the 79 have the 87's 302 but it's now carbed? Also what became of the old 351 you had? Anyways, I like it and keep up the good work. Remember to have fun with it.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
                      Looks good. I got kinda cornfused reading your cardomain page, does the 79 have the 87's 302 but it's now carbed? Also what became of the old 351 you had? Anyways, I like it and keep up the good work. Remember to have fun with it.
                      Yep, that's exactly right. The 351 is in the shed in pieces - for now!

Comment

Changing rear wheel bearings

Does anyone know of a good how-to on changing rear wheel bearings? I haven't actually inspected mine yet, but a brake shudder and an intermittent klunk-klunk noise from the left rear seem to strongly suggest that the left-rear wheel bearing has up and gone south.

In particular, I'm curious about the step in the Haynes manual that says to remove the C-clip and pull the axle out - with a slide hammer! I thought the axle should just slide right out? Also, are the bearings and stuff the same on this 8.5" rearend as on the 8.8?

Also, any experienced opinions on just what equipment I need to remove the old seal and bearing? I'm sure AutoZone rents slide hammers and seal installers, but I don't know much about different types, etc.

Comment

Uslydawg would know about the bearings...

Yes, the axles should slide out once the C-clip is removed.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                            Uslydawg would know about the bearings...

Yes, the axles should slide out once the C-clip is removed.
                            Thanks man, I'll look him up. I rented a slide hammer with three-jaw puller and a driver set from AutoZone, so hopefully that's all I need. The project's been experiencing weather-related and apartment management-related delays, so it's a good chance to get more info.

Edit: I can't find a GMN user by that name. Is he on another site?
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I think Mike may be talking about a member named Slydawg. He may have changed his name. Sometimes tho the member's list is missing some people.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X