Fuel pump interchangability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump interchangability

OK, so I need a pump for my the Capri, I'm too cheap to buy a new one and the one that is supposed to be in it is in the Lincoln.

I don't have the original pump out of the Lincoln, so what I'm wondering is what years of pumps interchange and senders? I'm thinking of going to the local wreckers and grabbing the whole assembly and just swapping it out, because I had to modify my stock assembly to accommodate the Mustang pump. They have an '03 Police Interceptor, but those cars have a returnless system right? So that wouldn't work..........

Basically, I want the newest possible. SO, if anybody knows what year range will fit my '89, entire pump and sender assembly, that'd be great!

-Chris
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

I did a quick check on partsamerica.com, and they have a listing for the complete pump assembly with the plate and lines, etc. The 'other applications' link shows 83-86 LTD, 87-89 CV, 83 Mark VI, 83-89 TC, 83-89 Grand Marq. The tank for a 1990 TC is different, and the fuel pump assembly is also not the same. The later model ones have the fuel level float built into the pump hanger where the earlier ones use a seperate plate for the pump and the float. Looks like you're stuck with box parts unless you want to modify some stuff. The actual pump itself is identical, but the hanger isn't the same, and it doesn't appear that the plate is the same size either. At any rate they use a different lock ring and gasket from the 80s models to 90s models. Lines also appear to be angled differently.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any chance that the newer pump moves more fuel?
      1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Newer stock pump? unlikely since its the same replacement part from 1983-1991 at least. Maybe beyond that it moves more but not sure.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sheiza! I just don't want to risk it running lean...........

Comment

the summit high capacity fuel pumps for mustangs are cheap......i use em in my builds......iirc they are around 50 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL
              Sheiza! I just don't want to risk it running lean...........
              I ran my GT40 motor on a stock pump without leaning out. I swapped it for a 110lph mustang one after misdiagnosing a problem. Which was a completely clogged fuel filter and bad sparkplugs. Now I have a noisy ass fuel pump...

Swearing in German huh? LOL....
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                I ran my GT40 motor on a stock pump without leaning out. I swapped it for a 110lph mustang one after misdiagnosing a problem. Which was a completely clogged fuel filter and bad sparkplugs. Now I have a noisy ass fuel pump...

Swearing in German huh? LOL....
                I have the same thing right now And I don't like how the Mustang pump fits in the Panther sender

Comment

i have two efi fuel pumps that worked when i removed them

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I don't like how the nipple on the pickup crimps down. I need to get another pickup and modify it. I'm fine wit hthe way my pump sits. Works great, and has lasted for almost 100K...
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                    X