No announcement yet.

My 87 LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You probably already know, but just in case, 4.10 gears are gonna kill your highway economy. I'd say don't go to 4.10s if 1/4th your driving is highway, but it's your car so go for it if you want.

Also, with lower gears and a HO conversion you should think about upgrading brakes, maybe to rear disks. You can also upgrade to 98+ front brakes, but those require 16" or bigger wheels. Have fun with it.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

SHHH! dont tell him about the MPG! we want speed! :woot:
      BTW, mang, I like the 5.0 emblems on the back!
      I got those on my front fenders, but they're not in my sig pic...
      here's a pic of them:

I took this pic last weekend, so I still have my winter wheels on there
      hmm...
      I just noticed that the trim on the armrests(on the doors) are red as well...did it come like that or did you do that? cuz it looks nice!
      Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

The fuel economy doesn’t concern me at all…. I think the AOD has a .6to1 OD ratio… I can’t keep my foot out of it anyways. I don’t do much highway driving, but when I do the added performance will be worth it. Do I have to change the master cylinder to do a rear disc conversion? Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what I need to do an H.O. conversion? The trim is all stock.....and I can thank 13 years of darkness for the lack of typical upolstry fade.
        1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
        FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

HO conversion consists of:
          HO upper intake manifold, EGR spacer and Throttle Body(lower intake is the same)
          HO computer
          19lb Fuel Injectors
          E7 Heads
          HO Cam
          Shorty Headers( I recommend 1 5/8" headers instead of the stock mustang shorties)

I dont think I missed anything...I'm sure someone else will post if I did
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I think he means a walkthrough of a HO conversion, and i'm pretty sure we don't have one. I'd like one for when I decide to put E7's and a 351 cam into a carbed Vic, since I don't know what i'm doing.

Comment

Actually, we DO have an HO conversion writeup...it's a sticky in the 5.0/5.8 section.

Clicky:
              http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=3147

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yeah, that's a great thread, but it doesn't provide the exact steps to do the swap, such as: remove this; take out that; put in this part, torque it to such and such specs, and so on. This may not seem necessary to you all, but to mechanics newbs like myself and others, it would really help out. But if no one wants to take the time to do that, it's fine.

Comment

You can probably manage most of it with a factory shop manual, some common sense, and a little luck...those manuals usually talk about how to disassemble and reassemble the engine, so that'll give you 90% of the step-by-step you're looking for. Other little details, well, that's why this site exists.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Wow, an upstate NY car with no rust. That right there is the ultimate little old lady find, 13 years in a garage and sporting 16k on the clock. Wow. Its like a time machine.

And yeah, what Nate said, this place isn't really intended to be a replacement for a good shop manual. Torque specs, etc are all well published. Info here is more about the tips and tricks for getting stuff that was never intended to be present on these cars from the factory to work well.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only thing that isn't exactly like it is in the manual is that you should get the factory EGR spacer bored out, and weld your original throttle cable lever gizmo to the mustang throttle body.

Comment

That's an amazingly clean CV, good luck with it.
                        Nick
                        88 Colony Park LS
                        G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                        Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Definatly looks like a mint Grandma Garage find,Nice!

Keep it outta the snow,and treat it nice,or it wont be mint for long,lol.

My 87 is in about the same condition,exept mine got hit in the back earlier this year and I'm now In the process of restoring it back to better than original.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                            You probably already know, but just in case, 4.10 gears are gonna kill your highway economy.

It wont kill his economy too much, just the engine will be reving pretty high. He'll prolly drop a little 5mpg< on the highway. The overdrive is gonna help out alot tho. Hell, before overdrive was basicly standard cars used to rev high on the freeway with no real side effects. My truck turns close to 4.5k at 70mph

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Yep, that's one amazingly clean specimen. Looks like it came out of a time capsule! I'll enjoy watching your progress.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks mang...

My Trac-Lock unit and gears are on the way and I'm going to take pics of the installation. Hoping to do an H.O. conv this summer.
                                1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                                FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Working...
                                X