No announcement yet.

4.6 vs 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, couldn't agree more(cost)...you wanna talk to my wife and convince her to turn in the Honda for a used P72? Seeing her sit on a phone book would be priceless.With that in mind, my opportunities to get laid are sparse, taking away her ride....the unthinkable would manifest.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
      Couldn't agree more. AND, i'm kinda impressed with how well my LoPo turd gets around. If the trans acted more like a 4r70 and i had about 100 more hp/tq i'd be very happy in this car. Oh, and no brake dive...
      Those wide ratio kits out there give 1st and 2nd gears ratios just like the 4R70W. If my AOD ever has to come out for some reason, I'd consider having that kit swapped in, but since it's a fresh rebuild hopefully that won't be anytime soon. I'm sure the taller ratios would be real nice with the LoPo low end grunt, especially if you have a Box with a 2.73 or 3.08.

Brake dive I've learned to live with. Stiffer shocks do help (KYB police rate stuff), but unless you want to put in heavier springs, it's going to be a constant. Even for as small as the brakes are on the Boxes and Aeros, they had respectable braking distance, even if it feels a bit wild inside. Motorweek had the '92 Panthers with ABS stopping from 60 MPH within 110 feet. There's newer midsize cars that are stopping in 130-140 feet from the same speed, even with wider tires, bigger brakes, and more modern anti-lock equipment.
      Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 10-04-2018, 04:45 PM.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Problem with a wide ratio setup is the narrow power band the lopo has. You may get some off the line, but I suspect it wouldn't actually be any faster. Might be worse on fuel too if it tries to wind the gears out too much. The lopo has nothing to give beyond about 4200 rpm.

Stiffer front springs help with the brake dive, so do less-crappy shocks. The springs on these things are a very soft rate, even compared to 90s cars. OTOH the 302 weighs less so if you go with higher rate late springs they have to be cut to get the height proper.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by ClayBelt View Post
          Seriously, why zombie this thread?

On that note though, I would take a 5.0 for performance purposes, and a later 4.6 for durability

This.

Also, zombie threads are fun!
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Problem with a wide ratio setup is the narrow power band the lopo has. You may get some off the line, but I suspect it wouldn't actually be any faster. Might be worse on fuel too if it tries to wind the gears out too much. The lopo has nothing to give beyond about 4200 rpm.

Stiffer front springs help with the brake dive, so do less-crappy shocks. The springs on these things are a very soft rate, even compared to 90s cars. OTOH the 302 weighs less so if you go with higher rate late springs they have to be cut to get the height proper.
            The Mad Marquis picked up 1-2 mph city and was basically the same highway. The 3.55L gears, however, killed that gain and dropped 2 mph highway. It would beat most any wannabe across the intersection with that setup though. It was really fun to drive and would launch hard enough to torque lift the front of the car. (Just raise the nose a little... not lift a tire. Lopo ain't got that much torque.)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by kodachrome wolf View Post
              ...motorweek had the '92 panthers with abs stopping from 60 mph within 110 feet. There's newer midsize cars that are stopping in 130-140 feet from the same speed, even with wider tires, bigger brakes, and more modern anti-lock equipment.
              this!
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Modern cars probably also weigh more. 92 CV/GM is what, 3600 lbs? The more weight you have, the harder it is to stop. I'd bet there would be a noticeable difference between CV and Towncar stopping performance in the same year just because of the weight.

One thing you will get out of larger brakes though, you can stop more times before it starts to fade out. One good stop is nice, a half dozen good stops is a lot better.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

CVLX should be closer to 3900+... base CV should be about 3800 and change.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X