4.6 vs 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.6 vs 5.0

Which engine is more reliable and durable? the 5.0 or the 4.6?
    1994 G/M white w. white and red interior. 34k

Good woman needed. must have plane and hangar. must cook, clean. aplicants please send a picture of your plane.

302. 281 is a nightmare to work on.

Just my .02
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

4.6 versus 5.0

The 4.6 is a throw away engine.. it can't be rebuilt, as there are no bearings.. everthing is machined to close tolerences... and when it wears out... you have to find another one... they are also bad about leaking valve guide seals..so they end up smoking really bad... until you replace them.. we have one car here at the PD right now that uses TWO quarts of oil per shift... And I won't even start about the PLASTIC intake that cracks....
      My opinion is the 5.0 is a much better engine as far as reliability, as far as I am concerned... My 2 cents....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
      Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

That 4.6 represents the shift by Ford to the throw away car.
        Plastic intakes are just the start of the 281's really scary list of idiotic ideas that should have never made the production line.

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Whoa... are you serious? No bearings?!

Comment

Is that not truly fucked up? Ford really did a number with that engine!

Comment

Re: 4.6 versus 5.0

Originally posted by trwp72
              The 4.6 is a throw away engine.. it can't be rebuilt, as there are no bearings.. everthing is machined to close tolerences... and when it wears out... you have to find another one..
              No cam bearings, but they most certainly do have rod and main bearings.
              The 4.6 is much more efficient from the factory than any pushrod 5.0. They are more difficult to service, but they certainly can be rebuilt.

Comment

but its easier and cheaper to hop-up a 5.0 than a 4.6
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Evilcrownvic
                  but its easier and cheaper to hop-up a 5.0 than a 4.6
                  AMEN!!

Comment

It's a good thing that it is easier and cheaper....cause you have too if you want to catch up to the 4.6's STOCK power rating.

Ray
                    Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
                    Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

It's a good thing that it is easier and cheaper....cause you have too if you want to catch up to the 4.6's STOCK power rating.

Oh it's on now.

I would gladly die a horrible death with my 5.0 than settle for a 4.6.

If only Ford woulda pulled thier heads out of thier asses and put more guts in these things. Oh well, making them better is half the fun yeah?
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Re: 4.6 versus 5.0

Originally posted by Mercracer
                        Originally posted by trwp72
                        The 4.6 is a throw away engine.. it can't be rebuilt, as there are no bearings.. everthing is machined to close tolerences... and when it wears out... you have to find another one..
                        No cam bearings, but they most certainly do have rod and main bearings.
                        Yea that there that you just said...

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Marquis

Ray
                          MY NAME IS SUE! HOW DO YOU DO? NOW YOU GONNA DIE!!!!

281's are the #3 worst engine Ford has ever produced! You cand take the heads off to port them becuse the toleorance is into the thousandth if an inchover the entire valvetrain. The lower ends are SHIT! I have seen more than five with a rod hangin out the oilpan.

302's are simple to build, hold up for goddamn ever, and built right are capabile of well over 350HP. There are more factory and aftermarket performance parts avalible for the 302 than any other engine sans the GM 350 block. 302 has been around since 1963 or 1964 when it debuted in the 1/2-ton Pickup. (double check this for me, I am having net probs.)

So you can about the power of your dinky little 281 POS. Anyone who likes that POS shitbox is an environmentally concious :asshat:.

NEXT!!!!!!!!

Comment

The 302 was first put in Ford trucks in 1969.

Before that they had a 360 and 390 V8 in 68

Before that, a 352 in 66

the biggest V8 they offered in 64 was the 292

in 63 they had the 332 and the 292.

From what I can find, the 302 was first produced in 1968.

Interestingly enough, the first small block V8 Ford ever put out was back in 1962, it was a 221 V8.

The 302 was a car engine before they ever put it in the truck.
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Woah!! My history books were WAY off!!!!!!
                              Musta been written by a chebby fan!

Thanks for clearing that up.
                              One thing, was the 302 offered in the 67 stang?

And I stand corrected by greatness that is grandpaslincoln!

Comment

Working...
                              X