No announcement yet.

4.6 vs 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the 4.6 does have main and rod bearings.. ( looked up the specs.. ) I was told that the mains and rods were machine down to the excact tolerences, so the the main and the rods acted as their own bearings.. I thought that seemed a little bit stupid.. but I know everytime the PD has had to replace an engine.. they just put a new engine in the car.. instead of rebuilding.. and threw the old engine away.... I guess it costs too much for the machine shop work etc... to justify rebuilding them... who knows! Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

I'm feeling lots of "Stock HP" envy here.

Both engines have advantages and disadvantages. Neither in stock form is going to live up to it's maximum potential. Then again when was the last time Ford built a motor to it's full potential.

Someone said the fun is in modifying them, and I agree. I have had both over the years, and if I had to pick my all time favorite engine I'd say F the small blocks! Give me a FE any day....428CJ baby!!!
      Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
      Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

Ok, lets just get off topic here.

Which engine is more reliable and durable?
        5.0 parts can wear and still perform.

Comment

I may have a 4.6 but a 5.0 is still better in my opinion. Parts are way cheaper for 302s and performance mods are cheaper too. So in that aspect you can build a way better performing engine with out as much green. But when my 4.6 dies in my car I'm going to swap it over to a 460 with a C6 tranny. :evil:
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

"reliable and durable"

If you take care of the engine properly then either one will give you 200k miles of happy motoring.

If you plan on neglecting the engine then the 302 will certainly last longer than the 4.6. It can handle abuse much better than the tighter tolerance 4.6 will.
            Car: 2004 Mercury Marauder
            Engine/Tranny: 49k miles and bone stock....for now

Comment

I've seen plenty of beat ass 5.0's with rods knocking still driving, but I also see alot of high mi 4.6 running just fine. I dunno, but my towny will prolly take alot of the boxes out there just fine :guns: And look good while doin it. IMHO a real v8 needs to be at least 300ci. not 281
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Agreed

Comment

BlazingStang-

I don't know if the 67 mustang ever came with the 302. Do you know of one that does?

As far as I know, the 302 was first introduced in 68, but it coulda been put in a few 67's first.

In 1968 Ford produced the Tunnel Port 302 to compete in the FIA Trans Am racing series, but was crushed unmercifully by the competition. That's when Ford designed and built the Boss 302 in 69.

The Boss 302 heads were a variation of the heads Ford was designing for the 351C 4BBL.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                    I don't know if the 67 mustang ever came with the 302. Do you know of one that does?
                    As far as I know, the 302 was first introduced in 68, but it coulda been put in a few 67's first.
                    I have never seen a 302 in a 1967 production year Mustang. 1968 was the first year of production and the only year of a 302 4V until 1983. Even the Shelby got a 302 4V in the GT-350 for 1968. What a dissapointment compared to the HiPo 289 from the 2 previous years. The 1969-1970 Shelby GT-350 351W 4V wasn't much to brag about either.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                      IMHO a real v8 needs to be at least 300ci. not 281
                      The 306HP Shelby 289 held its own.

Comment

ok you guys are lost on your smallblock history
                        1962 the 221 v8 is introduced
                        1963 the 289 was introduced
                        1964 the 289 was introduced
                        smallblocks had a different bellhousing pattern (5 bolts) untill 1966 when they became 6 bolts
                        1968 the 302 is introduced
                        1969 the 351 w is introduced
                        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                          ok you guys are lost on your smallblock history
                          1962 the 221 v8 is introduced
                          1963 the 289 was introduced
                          1964 the 289 was introduced
                          smallblocks had a different bellhousing pattern (5 bolts) untill 1966 when they became 6 bolts
                          1968 the 302 is introduced
                          1969 the 351 w is introduced
                          Who's lost?

1962 the 221 AND 260 were introduced. I have a 1962 Fairlane 4-door project car with an untouched 221.
                          In 1965 the 289 adopted the 6 bolt bellhousing pattern. Early production 1965 Mustangs had 5 bolt 260 and 289 blocks.

Comment

Ill take the 5.0 anyday. I run the dog shit outa mine and it still fires up every time. My 86 knocked for over a year and sounded like it explode at any second. Smoked like a pot head and id rev the shit out of in the yard every for about 30 minutes for the first month after i got it. Revving an engine with a knock is a bad idea tho
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS
                            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

The 302 is a stroked (believe it or not) 289. The 221 and 260 have smaller bores. The 289, 302, and, I believe, the 351 all have 4" bores, though the 351 has a taller deck height.

The 4.6 has better counterbalances on the crank so it doesn't need any external balancing. Even the cast cranks have a great history of withstanding abuse. The block also has crossbolts on the mains. They dont have the same problems with main caps walking that the 302s do. So the short block has a lot of potential to withstand abuse. If you really want to rev it though, the SOHCs have hypereutectic cast pistons, like the later 302 h.o.s, and marginal rods. Anything over 6500 rpm is a crap shoot. A 4.6 with good rods and forged pistons is good for 7500 +.

They also have an efficient combustion chamber design.

The downside - the small bore, a little over 3.5", shrouds the valves, so the 2 valve heads are limited. Even with porting and oversize valves and big cams it's hard to exceed 380 hp at the flywheel. For the SOHC you have to buy two cams - $550+. Unless you get 4 valve heads (which can make a lot more power), then you need to buy 4 cams! Intake manifolds are limited in choices and expensive.

The heads CAN be ported. Some companies that do this are VT, Steen Racing, Sean Hyland Motorsports, TEA, Renegade, and a slew of others. As yet there are no aftermarket heads available.

The cool thing about the 302 is that you can easily tailor it to the exact application. It's easy to build a high torque 347 or a screaming 306. You can easily build it to make power in the rpm range you want. And it' is a lot cheaper than the 4.6.

The bottom line is that hot rodding is all about doing what you want. I remember when 302s were economy motors and considered too small for serious power. They were underdogs to big blocks. But FI and hydraulic roller lifters in fox body Stangs changed all that. Now the little 4.6 is the underdog, but there are a lot of guys proving that they have potential too.

The cheapest engine to build for a lot of power is the small block Chevy, but wouldn't it be boring if everybody built small block Chevies? Just because they're cheap? Build what you like!
                              I may have to grow old but I don\'t have to grow up!

Rides: 2k Mustang GT, 91 Grand Marquis, 93 C1500, 76 Vette (Corvette- not Chevette), 79 Thunderbird Formula F20 (boat)

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyMerc
                                The 302 is a stroked (believe it or not) 289. The 221 and 260 have smaller bores. The 289, 302, and, I believe, the 351 all have 4" bores, though the 351 has a taller deck height.
                                The 4.6 has better counterbalances on the crank so it doesn't need any external balancing.
                                The 302 used a new casting block. The bore skirts were extended for the longer stroke. The 302 shares the deck height with a 289, but they didn't just drop a longer stroke crank in a 289 block. The 4" bore is shared by all Ford small blocks (don't care about the 250) from 1965 to the demise of the 5.0 Explorer motor after 2001 including all 351 (352) motors and the 400.
                                The counterbalances are not "better" on an internally balanced motor. There is enough mass within the counterweights to neutral balance the rotating assembly. Any crank and rotating assy can be neutral (internally) balanced.

Comment

Working...
                                X