My First Car Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Car Ride

Okay, how come a guy that bleeds Ford Blue took his first car ride in a GM?

It's not a Panther of course, but I think many of the lines resemble a two-door quite well.

This is the car I was brought home from the hospital after I was born.

I mother bought it in 1977. She liked the 5-Speed, and to be quite honest, I do too! Nothing like a full-sized (actually considered mid-sized at the time) with a 5-gear, three pedals, and a V8.

We kept it until 1989, when my dad said my mom had to get rid of it. He sold it to a co-worker, who's son wrapped the back end around a telephone pole within a week of buying it. Little brothers threw rocks at it after they set it back in a field and broke the grilles and windshield.

We bought it back in 1993. It has been in the garage ever since, waiting for it's new quarter panel. The windshield has been replaced, the trim is in the back seat.

It sports Salon bucket seats (rare), the 5-gear (really really rare!), and a 260 V8. With a 2.56 gear in the back, this thing is quite a freeway flyer.

Then there is the parts car we bought mostly for the grilles and taillights ('76 specific). Those parts have been removed for safe keeping. It's a rust bucket (probably about the worst I've seen in VA), but it's got a 350 4-bbl that still runs like a scalded dog. It's got buckets and a console as well over the standard bench most came with.

1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I had no idea those things came with 5 speeds. I need to find me one!
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
      I had no idea those things came with 5 speeds. I need to find me one!
      Yup, sure did. They are very rare, but they are out there. I've heard about one other one, lol. It was a MPG thing. They only offered it with the 260 V8, because that was the smallest thing they had to bolt up to an existing tranny. This one may be getting that Rocket 350 from the parts car... we shall see.

The things that remind me of the Box 2-Dr's are the overall proportions, the back side windows, the headlights and parking lights, the front bumper, and the fact that they are smogged all to heck. I'm pretty sure gutting these early style cats will gain you about 50 horses.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Looks good. I bet it's fun with that 5 speed, and it would be even more fun with a 4bbl 350.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

cool mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Nice car, could used a steeper rear end gear though.

Comment

Originally posted by zephmont79
              Nice car, could used a steeper rear end gear though.
              I got a set of 2.73's for it! Yeah, it needs some 3.55's.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I used to work for a guy who had a 77 Cutlass Salon. Olds 350, 4v, automatic. Had 270k on it when the timing chain jumped one cold winter morning. He had bought it like 9 years earlier for $500 when he was on vacation in Texas and his car at the time died. He was told that the Olds would probably last 6-12 months at most, but it would get him home. I'm not sure what happened to it but I know he gave it to someone who wanted to use it for a project build car.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fun. That shifter and boot look just like the one in my dad's old '78 Skyhawk.

How's the 260 run? According to Car Craft, they were complete heaps similar to the Ford 255 output-wise, and they were so bad in other ways that Monzas sold in California got 350s because they couldn't get the 260 to pass emissions.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

It's ok, I was brought home in the back of a Yellow/Black 79 Camaro!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                      And how's that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                        Funny! I'll have to ask whether I rode home in the '74 Cougar (400M/2V) or the '78 Skyhawk (231 V6/manual trans).

Comment

I would have either come home in a white '72 Dodge Dart 4 door (2bbl 318 swapped to 4bbl) or a turquoise-ish '69 Ford Galaxie 4 door (2bbl 390). More than likely it was the '69 Ford.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN
                            I would have either come home in a white '72 Dodge Dart 4 door (2bbl 318 swapped to 4bbl) or a turquoise-ish '69 Ford Galaxie 4 door (2bbl 390). More than likely it was the '69 Ford.
                            Like, kewlness.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
                              Like, kewlness.
                              Like, yeah. :p

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                              X