Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10amp should be plenty - they dont need much current at all.
    gadget pretty much summed it up.
    For mine I used the cig lighter wiring (has its own fuse) for power and ground, and tapped into the ashtray light wire for illumination.
    The hole I used was almost clear from under the dash, just the edge of a peice of insulation in the way.

edit: I forgot to mention my key on source... all I did was tap the key-on wire for the radio, and used that to trigger the relay thats powered by the cig lighter wiring.
    I also have a bridged barrier strip you can see in there... since i have many many accessories

* this pic is old (pre-console) but the electronics in the ashtray cavity are the same*

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-25-2006, 12:14 AM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Transmission temperature sensor

After dropping the pan, I found this to be the best spot to put it.
      What you are looking at is a B&M transmission pan drain plug kit with an electric temperature sensor installed in place of the drain plug. All you have to do is drill a 1/2" hole and bolt in the special nuts and gasket. No leaks so far!

'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

None of my guages are actually fused independant of the radio fuse. I didn't see the point in adding more inline fuse holders to tap off a circuit that was already protected by a fuse. They draw such a small amount of power I wasn't worried about them popping anything either. So far, no problems.

And I sorta fibbed. I have the wire taps, but they aren't actually in use right now. I currently have wires jammed under the fuse blades. The taps are in the trunk, but I've been either too busy or too lazy to install them.

Pete: is that an electric or mechanical sender? Looks electric. What temp does your trans read?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yep, electric. So far the hottest its gotten is about 130 degrees... my engine temperature reads about 170-180 (w/180 degree T-stat). At first I thought the gauge was broken, becuause driving around town it never came off its minimun of 100.
          I guess the cold weather and not having an AC condensor keep it extra cool
          Of course the guage could be off... I guess Ill have to wait till summer and do some mountain driving to see for sure
          sigpic

Comment

Couple more questions:

1. Where does the ammeter hook up to under the hood? Any fuses needed for this or is it a direct line to the gauge?

2. My temp gauge is mechanical, but what I want to know is, is that copper line hollow and allowing coolant inside the cab or is it just a copper wire?

Comment

1. A volt meter would be a better way to go, safer as well.

2. Its just copper, no coolant will enter into your cab.

O.T. Pete, what in teh fuck looks like the devils finger coming out of your mirror adjuster?
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

1. A volt meter would be a better way to go, safer as well.
                Safer? How? What's the difference anyway? Is a fuse needed in the line?
                Last edited by monterey1962; 01-25-2006, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I forget the site, but it explains why an ammeter is more dangerous, and all you really need is a voltmeter...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Damnit, I have to buy another gauge? My ProSource gauge says amps on the front, so I suppose that's crap.

Still, where do you hook in under the hood for the volt meter? I might as well just run all the wiring right away.

Comment

I don't even hook into any wire under the hood...

I think I tapped into some hot wire under the dash..

Comment

That's all it needs??? WTF? It can't be that easy, can it?

Btw, anyone have a diagram of the fuse panel for an '88 GM? Would it be the same as the '87 Cougar fuse panel? '88 manual doesn't show a diagram, but the Cougar manual does.

Comment

I tapped into some wire off my fuse panel.

Works great.

Comment

Interesting. So the only lines I need to run through the firewall are the temp sensor line, oil pressure sensor wire, and my wire for the new trunk light.

Comment

yep, its that easy - a volt meter only needs any 12 switched source to run.
                              An ammeter is dangerous becuase you are essentially re-routing ALL the current running through the car into your dash and that gauge. It would need at least 10 gauge wire.
                              The copper tubing for the mechanical temperature guage is filled with a gas - its sealed off from the coolant but you still have to make sure you dont kink or break the tubing.

Oh and the 'devils finger' is a rubber chilli pepper from a set of 'chilli pepper' Xmas lights that I stuck on there one night (a special night) and there it remains
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                                Oh and the 'devils finger' is a rubber chilli pepper from a set of 'chilli pepper' Xmas lights that I stuck on there one night (a special night) and there it remains
                                Yeha, I remember asking you about that when I was riding in your car too

Comment

Working...
                                X