This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three big problems:

1. I cannot find any way to get through the firewall. I'm open to all suggestions on how to get through. There are no grommets or openings like that earlier pic and there aren't any below the brake booster. Is this because you guys are CFI/Carb and I'm EFI? Is there a different build to the cars' firewall?

2. Access to the oil sending unit location. The plate that holds the air filter box is bolted to the fucking manifold bolts. I soaked 'em with PB blaster. Two came out fine, but guess what, that's right, stripped the third one. I see only the following options: 1. pull the power steering pump and move it over (pain in the ass); or 2. take the dremel and cut that fucking third support. Again, I'm open to all suggestions.

3. I'm running out of time. Fuckin' cold weather is setting in on Friday, so I need to get this done, or at least get all the wiring strung, by tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

I had to gack a hole in my grommit right above the gas pedal. It is a bitch to run the lines through. You might have to get a coat hanger, bend it straight and duct tape your wires to that and push it through. I'll try to post pics of mine when I find the cable for our digital camera.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
        I had to gack a hole in my grommit right above the gas pedal. It is a bitch to run the lines through. You might have to get a coat hanger, bend it straight and duct tape your wires to that and push it through. I'll try to post pics of mine when I find the cable for our digital camera.
        :stupid:

However, make sure you arent binding anywhere, like around the steering shaft..

(I was trying to find a pic justin used to show the stuff going thru the grommet, but I cannot find it...)
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

How high up is that grommet from the gas pedal? Is it under padding or something? I must have been looking right over it.

Comment

Mine is the grommet that goes around the steering linkage...

Comment

Yeah, its under padding, its a whore to get to.

Comment

Yeah, its under padding, its a whore to get to.
                Nothing is ever easy, is it?

Comment

Guys, there is no grommet down there. I've just shredded the insullation on the inside and outside of the firewall. Nothing. I think I just might go ahead and drill a hole big enough to get the temp sensor through. I'll put it to the right of where the gas pedal linkage goes through the firewall.

Comment

that sucks you dont have a grommet where I did - I cant think of any other holes big enough for that sensor without making one...
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Ok, I don't know how to attatch stuff yet so here's a linkt to some pics of the vics guage, the grommit is right under the wiper box, hope this helps

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...=18081#content

Comment

Ok, I don't know how to attatch stuff yet so here's a linkt to some pics of the vics guage, the grommit is right under the wiper box, hope this helps

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...=18081#content
                        More evidence that Tripminders were in cars BEFORE 1984

Comment

p71, you're not EFI, though. You have a lot more room to work with. That damn upper intake is in the way of everything for me. Not that it matters, theres a bigger-than-necessary hole in the firewall now. Let's just say that the Dremel worked a little "too good".

Comment

My 86 SEFI car has a grommet down under the brake booster. Its actually right next to the ECM if memory serves. Cant see it from inside, but I can see it from the engine compartment.

Just make sure you tape the wires up where they pass through the firewall so they don't chafe and short on the sharp edges.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All gauges are installed. Didn't do a running test 'cause it was late. Only issue so far is the coolant temp gauge won't light up. Tried a new bulb, checked the wiring, nothing. No clue on that. Also got my new light installed in the trunk. Big difference. Tomorrow will be test runs, hood insulation removal, and light install under hood. If all is well I should be able to clean it up and put it all back together. Details forth-coming.

Comment

Sounds good man.
                                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
                                X