Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to Super Unknown gauge installation thread.

Comment

i nervously really want to run a tach in my vic as i have posted before but, dont want to screww anything up! I went into autozone one day and all they had was a tach no wires for instal? Where would i find them and how the hell would you tap into the coil? what would you have to do?

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
        Three big problems:

1. I cannot find any way to get through the firewall. I'm open to all suggestions on how to get through. There are no grommets or openings like that earlier pic and there aren't any below the brake booster. Is this because you guys are CFI/Carb and I'm EFI? Is there a different build to the cars' firewall?

2. Access to the oil sending unit location. The plate that holds the air filter box is bolted to the fucking manifold bolts. I soaked 'em with PB blaster. Two came out fine, but guess what, that's right, stripped the third one. I see only the following options: 1. pull the power steering pump and move it over (pain in the ass); or 2. take the dremel and cut that fucking third support. Again, I'm open to all suggestions.

3. I'm running out of time. Fuckin' cold weather is setting in on Friday, so I need to get this done, or at least get all the wiring strung, by tomorrow afternoon.
        I use a 1 inch hole saw and drilled a hole about 3 inches to the left of the brake pedal, just above the cardboard cover, and it came out just under the booster. I used a 1 inch gromet and ran everything out that way.
        89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

Originally posted by Zcliff89 View Post
          i nervously really want to run a tach in my vic as i have posted before but, dont want to screww anything up! I went into autozone one day and all they had was a tach no wires for instal? Where would i find them and how the hell would you tap into the coil? what would you have to do?

The wires are hanging out of the tach - they should be included. You use crimp connectors and a wire tap connector to tap the coil - you should find these at the store as well, along with a crimping tool. Go on and buy a whole kit if you dont have one

check out

http://www.bcae1.com/

for great info
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Are all of the pics in the first page working? They aren't for me but it could be the PC I'm on.
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

naw they are shot. Pete has to update things.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

cool. I am honestly surprised it's not because of the computer I'm on

Is this the little guy that gets replaced? I find that kinda funny since I had to replace a leaky one the other day

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

that is an oil pressure switch thing. To install any oil gauge that switch will have to be removed and the correct sender(with adapter) or mechanical oil line will have to be inserted into its place.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Cool. I am getting that funky old Stewart Warner gauge pod from 91grandmarquis, so it's electric. Does that thing trigger the oil light on my dashboard? If so, does that function remain once I have the new one in?

Can I just buy a Sunpro electric sender from fleabay? I have no idea what kind of adapter I need, or if I'm getting rid of the stock oil pressure switch completely (as in, does it splice in or replace it entirely?)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                      Cool. I am getting that funky old Stewart Warner gauge pod from 91grandmarquis, so it's electric. Does that thing trigger the oil light on my dashboard? If so, does that function remain once I have the new one in?

Can I just buy a Sunpro electric sender from fleabay? I have no idea what kind of adapter I need, or if I'm getting rid of the stock oil pressure switch completely (as in, does it splice in or replace it entirely?)
                      Yes it trigger the oil light in the dash board according to my EVTM. With it removed nothing bad happens though as in the light does not stay on etc. You will loose the function of the light but that is what the new gauge is for.

I have no idea about the compatibility between senders from different manufacturers. But one thing I can tell you is this. The oil pressure sender will most likely be shaped like a big cow bell. That big cow bell will not even come close to fitting against the engine block where the oil pressure switch sits currently. You will be in need of an oil pressure adapter thingy. It looks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-93...Q5fAccessories

You can find that adapter on trucks as well. Just search for them instead of paying that much for one. It is a pocket item in the junkyards that is free

That screws into the block and then the bell sender screw's into that. And you can be on your merry way.

EDIT my description of the oil light may be wrong. But it will not light up anyway with the thing removed.
                      ~David~

Comment

thanks!

thats what I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7577-.../dp/B00029JXMA
                        sigpic

Comment

Its on the to-do list!!!! i lost a lot of the old pics... gotta snap new ones.
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You can buy the "T" adapter to keep your oil light sender so it doesn't trigger it, they have them under accessories on the sunpro site.
                            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

removing our senders wont trigger the oil or temp circuits for the warning light.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                                thanks!

thats what I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7577-.../dp/B00029JXMA
                                aww that is one I haven't seen before. That would work I suppose on a sunpro gauge..no idea about a warner though.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X