MAF Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAF Conversion

Hey guys, just getting ready here to do a MAF conversion on the TC. The way I am going to go is to just use the same guide I used when I did my Mustang, which was pretty straight-forward, add the four wires, switch a few pins around and you are good to go after you hook the meter up.

Now, my question is, if any of you have done a MAF conversion on a box before, are there any extra steps or is it the same as the Mustang?

Just curious so I don't run into any extra headaches along the way, as she is my DD.

I'll be performing the initial testing with the A9L out of my Capri, and when the A9P arrives early in the week, she'll be getting that.

-Chris
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

yeah, it's a PITA to repin. Since the connector is outside the car, there is a weatherproofing section in the thing. Gotta drill the false pins out.

Your gonna lose the cruise control when you swap over.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      yeah, it's a PITA to repin. Since the connector is outside the car, there is a weatherproofing section in the thing. Gotta drill the false pins out.

Your gonna lose the cruise control when you swap over.
      Yeah, I know about losing the cruise, but Gadget gave me some nice wiring diagrams for the stand-alone system, and I have a pile of Mustang diagrams, so I'm thinking I can "convert" it to the stand-alone system that the Mustang has, as I have a spare Mustang cruise unit.
      1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Yeah, I have the same diagrams. I need to actually do it one of these days.... Gotta make the damn car run and be reliable first.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          Yeah, I have the same diagrams. I need to actually do it one of these days.... Gotta make the damn car run and be reliable first.
          You have the ones from veryuseful.com? Those are the Mustang ones.....

Comment

Dunno, whatever gadget sent me. Think they were lincoln ones... It should be all the same.

Comment

Here are a few of the ones from veryuseful.com:

Comment

fordfuelinjection.com also has most of the wiring diagrams, just not with as much color. The pics of the connectors are quite useful though. I'll have to add that site to my list of bookmarks to distribute

mrltd: the stuff I sent you was for an 86 Towncar.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OK guys, I got it done, but have one issue:

A Check Engine light.

I haven't checked the codes yet to see what they are for, but I also have some extra wires, which I know isn't good, and probably why I have a CEL.

Pin "50" on the ECM is supposed to be unoccupied and used for the return for the MAF signal. It wasn't. There was an aquamarine wire there with a black stripe? I pulled it out and put some rubber over it. I don't know what it does as of yet, or where it goes.

The places where the thermactor pins are supposed to go, are also occupied, these would be pins 38 and 32 respectively. I have left those alone, ran the two MAF wires, spliced the + and - into where they are supposed to go and that is working correctly.

I found out that fan wash on the Mark VIII fan causes ISSUES! HOLY CRAP!

I was out trying to find and air filter for it, right now I have the stock rubber elbow with the MAF attached to it, and I had no filter on it. Well, the fan kicked on, the car surged like a whore, STUNK like gas and then stalled and wouldn't start for like 30 minutes. Flooded it right out.

I've got a cone style filter on there right now, but I need to make something to prevent the MAF/filter from getting fan washed.

The car idles like stock, albeit it has a lope. That sorta makes me think that cam isn't stock. It's not rich anymore at idle, which is nice, but I do need to bring the idle up, it's idling at like 650 not in gear! But it's just the A9L in there right now, until the A9P arrives early this week, so I may just bump up the idle in the meantime.

mrltd, you have any "odd" wires when you did yours?
                  Last edited by OVERKILL; 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM.

Comment

lotta those are from books I already have... Probst's How to tune & modify Ford EEC...

I think the blue one is cruise....that's what all the extras were on mine

I don't remember the pins for the thermactor stuff, but just search for maf conversion on corral...

Comment

Here's some Mark VII specific MA conversion stuff. Should likely cover it. It does mention which pins are cruise related.
                      http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00077.html
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

according the the MAF conversion instructions I have from IST, cruise control related wires are supposed to be removed from pin 2, 35, 38, 39, 41 and 50.
                        pin 51 is moved to pin 38 on the MAF ECM and pin 11 is moved to pin 32 on the MAF ECM. the wire from pin 39 is supposed to be grounded so horn still works. wire from pins 2, 35, 38, 41 and 50 are unused and supposed to be taped together out of the way.

also have to splice the wire you add from pin 19 to the fuel pump hot. when I did my conversion, I went to the Yellow wire on the fuel pump relay.
                        Last edited by 88grandmarq; 04-16-2007, 07:55 AM.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Here's some Mark VII specific MA conversion stuff. Should likely cover it. It does mention which pins are cruise related.
                          http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00077.html

very interesting.... they wired in a second computer to keep cruise working on the car. why the hell didnt I think of that !!!!
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

GREAT INFO GUYS!!!!! OK, I'll "fix" the remaining wiring when the A9P arrives, it should be OK to drive the way it is until then, if it's not, please let me know

I will add that the car picked up MASSIVE throttle response, as well as gas mileage. I drove around this morning and the gauge never moved!!!!! It also seems to have picked up some more power, though that could just be the result of it not being insanely rich.........
                            Last edited by OVERKILL; 04-16-2007, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Well, the car is now sitting at the gas station. I put $30.00 in it, and when I went to start it, the electric fan came on. FLOODED. BOOM.

So I' leaving it there until 11:00, it's currently 9:30. Hopefully it'll start when I get back.

Comment

Working...
                              X