buffing out scratches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buffing out scratches?

The '90 has a lot of light scratches over most of the car. Nothing really deep. What is the best way to buff these out? Do I just go to a rubbing compound, polish, and wax, or is that too harsh? Is it better to get an actual buffer to work them out? All info is appreciated.

Is it clear coat for sure? Are the scratches through the clear coat?

A lot of the more aggressive tactics will have adverse effects with clear coats, where enamel will take it fine.

Comment

It's clearcoated. I don't believe anything has actually gotten through the clearcoat. They look like scuffs from people setting stuff on the car, then sliding it a bit before picking it up. Nothing major.

Comment

Maybe just a good cleaner wax, microfiber cloths, and some elbow grease, then come back with a good wax for long term.

Comment

How deep?

Pick up a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX. Use as directed. Hand application is fine.
          It requires some effort to work to it's full potential.

Wax afterwards to protect paint.
          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
          Modifications
          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Anybody tried the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar?

I bought some of the Ice Liquid Polish, but I'm holding off using it until the light scratches and swirl marks are dealt with first.
            2003 Grand Marquis LS
            Spruce Green with Light Flint leather

Custom Dual Exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers
            Bridgestone Potenza G009 tires
            Monroe SensaTrac shocks
            SilverStar Ultras
            Stealth turn signal bulbs
            AutoSport berber floor mats
            XM radio

Bob is the Oil Guy
            Motor Oil 101

Comment

Tried the Ice Liquid Clay Bar this weekend. It works okay for an easy light cleaning before waxing, but if you have deep scratches a real clay bar might work better for you. It did remove light scratches, swirl marks, road tar, and dried-on bug splats. It's easy to use - just rinse off road dust, apply the liquid with a firm scrubbing motion, and rinse it off. I did mine in a do-it-yourself car wash (at daybreak on a Sunday morning so I wouldn't be in anyone's way).

Followed that with a coat of Ice Liquid Polish. That stuff is the shiznit. Goes on easy, comes off easy, and leaves a nice glaze finish. Turns black plastic parts nice and glossy black, with no white residue. Two thumbs up.
              2003 Grand Marquis LS

Monroe SensaTrac shocks
              SilverStar Ultras
              XM radio

Bob is the Oil Guy
              Motor Oil 101

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                Followed that with a coat of Ice Liquid Polish. That stuff is the shiznit. Goes on easy, comes off easy, and leaves a nice glaze finish. Turns black plastic parts nice and glossy black, with no white residue. Two thumbs up.
                the polish does that huh?
                hmm...I might just have to give it a shot on my side molding/trim...I got some wax on it and it looks bad.
                sigpic
                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                  the polish does that huh?
                  hmm...I might just have to give it a shot on my side molding/trim...I got some wax on it and it looks bad.
                  Yesh, it works pretty good. The trick is - and this is critical - USE IT SPARINGLY. As in, just a few drops on the applicator sponge is enough. Wipe on a very thin coat of it or it won't dry. Also, if you saturate the applicator with it, it gets down into crevices and weeps out later leaving streaks all over your nice fresh wax job. I found this out the hard way. The second coat went on perfectly.
                  2003 Grand Marquis LS

Monroe SensaTrac shocks
                  SilverStar Ultras
                  XM radio

Bob is the Oil Guy
                  Motor Oil 101

Comment

give 3M rubbing compund a try, that stuff worked wonders for me, gets rid of light scratches and scuff marks without a problem. makes the paint look brand new! the best part is you can get it at walmart, lol

Nick

Comment

I am afraid to try rubbing compound. Are there any special tips for using? I am going to purchase a paint pen and fill in any dings soon as well. A couple spots from leafs on the hood and trunk. Claying is said to work really well, I may give that a shot.

Comment

Gs-27 is the tits. sold at wal-mart and advence auto. its finer than rubing compound and wipes off with a waxed look A++

Comment

Working...
                        X