X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three words... Baumann Shift Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
      It's pretty easy to manually shift the car without a tach...just listen and feel what the car is doing. Same deal as with a mustang AOD for shifting... Put it in first, hold it until you want it to shift, stick it in D wind it up a bit and pull it back into first (holds second...) then if you need 3rd put it back in D after you wind second out.
      The OD band is applied when ya do this. It's not really great for the tranny, but hey if it's slipping already let 'er rip. It used to be the only way I got 2nd gear. The Intermediate One Way Clutch was fried and 2nd only was available with the OD band applied.

35MPG
      Is your calculator broken? If you are really getting that MPG, I'm copying your setup into my wagon. Tell a 4-Banger Camry to suck your TC's highly efficent balls as you pass them at the gas station.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
        Three words... Baumann Shift Kit.
        Two words- Wide Ratio.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
          when you see the second yellow, floor it!
          suprisingly when i floor my towny, no spin, it just scoots......best so far 15.91 at 88 mph
          See, now I didn't try it like that, and I think I should have. I was loading up the converter.
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            35mpg ... .wow.... my 3.27 car got more like 20-22 stock, even on pretty long trips. I suppose advanced ignition timing could make a difference, but probably not that kind of difference. And your combo seems pretty basic.... unless of course the cam is one of the ones supposed to increase fuel economy over stock, but you say it feels a lot fatter than that.... weirdness! :p
            The car got ~25 stock.
            1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

I think there is something not right with the calcs if it's getting 35.

17.70....Yeah, that's sad. 17.35 with a bone stock 91 Marq... Definately got some issues there, because the MPH is very low too.

It's pretty easy to manually shift the car without a tach...just listen and feel what the car is doing. Same deal as with a mustang AOD for shifting... Put it in first, hold it until you want it to shift, stick it in D wind it up a bit and pull it back into first (holds second...) then if you need 3rd put it back in D after you wind second out.
              I didn't base that solely on what the calc said, it's how much gas the car went through on the way there relative to how far we went. It really was getting that kind of mileage. We averaged about 55mph on the way there (it's an 80km/h road) in case you wanted to know how fast we were going.

OK, I didn't know that once you upshifted, that you could put the shifter back into 1st to keep it in second. If I had a camcorder, you could hear what I'm talking about. The tone of the car changes as it comes on to the cam, and it starts to really pull, and as soon as that happens, it shifts, it's retarded!!!!!!!!

I wish I had known that before going up, I would have tried THAT at the track too. I was also uncertain about how durable the trannies were when you were manually shifting them....... I take it this isn't an issue? My race car/track car is a 5spd, so I've never really driven an auto on the track until this car, so this is kinda new to me (auto at the track and what tricks can/can't be done with them).

I honestly think the car is slow because it can't rev. Maybe I'll experiment with it a little later and let it wind and see what happens...........

The next track day isn't until later in May, so I have some time..........

Comment

Well, it's an insanely heavy car adn you are running 3.27's.... These cars need at least 3.73's and a 2400 stall converter to get moving. The early shifting is killing it too. I'd put a decent cooler on it and it might be time for a rebuild. I manually shifted mine all the time without any issues.

Comment

Well, it's an insanely heavy car adn you are running 3.27's.... These cars need at least 3.73's and a 2400 stall converter to get moving. The early shifting is killing it too. I'd put a decent cooler on it and it might be time for a rebuild. I manually shifted mine all the time without any issues.
                  Everything behind the motor is original with the exception of the rear U-joint

I was thinking the shift governor that Gadget was talking about, sounds pretty good............But the engine may need to be shifted higher than that still, which of course facilitates the need to manually shift it still.

That would have been fun to try.

I will try it on the street and let you know how it works.

-Chris

P.S. I'm a little apprehensive about putting a converter and gears in it. The car is my DD, and gets awesome gas mileage now, so I don't really want to potentially screw that up..............

Comment

Converter shouldn't hurt milage much, since 3 and 4 are lockup and the stall has no effect. Depending on the cam, I wouldn't worry about the shift points. They should be good if the motor has a close to stock cam. I had a stock cam with mild heads and the car did fine with the stock HO governor.

Comment

Well, that's just it. I THOUGHT it was a stock cam, but with the vacuum it pulls, and the sound it makes (has a very mild lope/mildly rough idle) I'm having my doubts.............

Comment

Well, that'll kinda hurt a heavy car depending on the cam...

Comment

Well, that'll kinda hurt a heavy car depending on the cam...
                          I know

Comment

Time for a how-to post on measuring your cam! :p
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              Time for a how-to post on measuring your cam! :p
                              Oh, I know how, but I didn't, because I did that wonderful thing called ASSUME.

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
                                The best it used to average was 25MPG, so it now getting 35.
                                I'm calling schenanigans.
                                Ontario Canada... liters fuel / kilometer distance.
                                Me thinks a math conversion error somewhere.
                                1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                                1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                                1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Working...
                                X