No announcement yet.

Does this sound like a stock HO cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might be surprised. A good tune on an engine even as mild as that could get you 20-30hp. Maybe even more than that if it's running sub par because it's deviating from what the ECU wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
      You might be surprised. A good tune on an engine even as mild as that could get you 20-30hp. Maybe even more than that if it's running sub par because it's deviating from what the ECU wants.
      I know, I was agreeing with you BUT, for now, until I finish the Capri, I think the only thing the car is getting is the Mustang shift governor. Then maybe another trip to the track to see how much it helped.
      1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Quick question. Does the b cam have a rougher idle than that? Im also running a mystery ho cam and my seems to idle a tad rough than that and Im pullin around 14" of vaccuum with mine. I plan on measuring the lift tommorrow but Id like opinions.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
          Quick question. Does the b cam have a rougher idle than that? Im also running a mystery ho cam and my seems to idle a tad rough than that and Im pullin around 14" of vaccuum with mine. I plan on measuring the lift tommorrow but Id like opinions.
          The "B" apparently has a pretty distinct idle..........
          1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987LTDmasta View Post
            yep.

i believe speed density requires 12" of vacuum at idle.
            d'oh

meant to say 18", not 12
            LTD is still here

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
              The "B" apparently has a pretty distinct idle..........
              If I'm not mistaken, the B cam is less radical than the E cam. As the letters go higher, the more radical the cam gets, with the X and Z series cams being pretty much race-only.

Edit: yours actually sounds a lot like a B-series cam, check out this vid for reference. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...6c8cea5d51.htm
              Last edited by 88MercWagon; 04-29-2007, 04:45 AM.
              Nick
              88 Colony Park LS
              G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
              Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

The B has a little more duration and a little less lift than the E. I dunno what it is, but I really don't think it is stock. But yet after listening to some B- and E-cams, it doesn't sound quite as bumpy as those. If I had to guess, I'd say E.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

It may not even be a Ford Racing cam, unless it has a Ford manufacturing/serial # on it.
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I measured mine out today. It is a B cam. It does have different idle than the E for sure. The b does have less lift and more duration than the e.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I have no idea what mine is and I'm not going to bother tearing into it just to find out

Comment

All you need to do is take off the valve cover man. Get a venier caliper and measure valve closed and valve full open and the pushrod. Multiply by the rocker arm ratio.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_Pride View Post
                          All you need to do is take off the valve cover man. Get a venier caliper and measure valve closed and valve full open and the pushrod. Multiply by the rocker arm ratio.
                          I know. But the car is my daily driver and I don't have time to even do that right now.........

Comment

Oh. Well if you get time thats the easy way to do it.
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I thought you couldn't put anything more radical than a stock HO cam into a Town Car unless you change the flat-headed pistons? How did you put a more radical cam in without getting valve slap?

Comment

here's all the Ford Racing 5.0L cams...just for reference
                                http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...48353_-1_10707
                                sigpic
                                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X