GL/SU cross country convoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GL/SU cross country convoy

We have new developments in all of this, so I'm going to start fresh to keep details clear and straight. People I am most concerned about hearing from in this thread: GL, FatNasty, Nathan, and Zack. Anyone else who is going to be along the main route GL and I are taking out that wants to convoy up, speak up here. Details below.

GL will be driving from Cove, OR to Bismarck, ND. From there, we will convoy out to SF.

-If GL sticks to Interstate, it'll be ~1,300 miles/~18 hours to Bismarck. On the way, he can hook up with FatNasty in Post Falls, ID. They can each drive their own cars to Bismarck, ND.

-Once in Bismarck, Mark will leave his car at my place and ride the rest of the way out to SF with me or GL. From Bismarck, ND to Tremont, PA it's ~1,800 miles/~24 hours. It will be on the following Interstates: I-94, I-90, I-39, I-80, I-76, and I-81. It's tollways once we hit Illinois, so have cash handy.

**For a quick view of the routes .... Go to GoogleMaps and search the follwing routes ---> Cove, OR to Bismarck, ND ... and ... Bismarck, ND to Tremont, PA.**

-We will be going around Chicago as best as we can on I-39 and I-80. It's the only bad part of the whole trip. GL and I are planning on running CB's, so we can keep in touch if we lose sight of one another.

-GL and FatNasty will have to work on a time schedule on when to leave and meet so they can get to Bismarck sometime on Friday, July 13th. Be here early enough so that you can get plenty of sleep for the rest of the trip. It's a big push. Remember, it's all easier said than done. Safety first ... NO DROWSY DRIVING. Even if stopping for sleep costs us an extra day to get out there.

-We leave Bismarck early Saturday morning (July 14th). We need to get into Wisconsin before stopping Saturday night. Reason for this: We need to time it so we can get around Chicago in DAYLIGHT! Also, we are planning a stop near the Twin Cities to meet up with Nathan for supper before heading into Wisconsin.

-Sunday (July 15th) will be the big push. We will need to get around Chicago and as far as we can get in that day. I'm thinkin' we should make it as far as Youngstown, OH before having to stop for the night.

-Monday (July 16th) is the day we hit Skippyville. We rest, then rip S.U. apart for the new motor and trans. We can also help Scott out with gettin' ready for SF the following weekend.

==========================

Then, there is the issue of getting home. I'd like to give us at least four full days to get back home. Maybe five, depending on when GL and FatNasty need to be home. That means we will leave Skippyville on July 24th (Tuesday) or 25th (Wednesday). We are planning on meeting Zack in Nebraska on the way home.

-We will depart Skippyville and try to get as far as western Indiana by nightfall.

-Day two will be getting past the south side of Chicago again on I-80. Instead of going north on I-39, we will continue west on I-80 to Nebraska. We should easily get to Zack's area by that night.

-Day three is up in the air. We either hang out with Zack or continue our trip home. At this point, FatNasty would ride with me back to Bismarck to get his car and continue home to Post Falls, ID. GL has the option of not going north. Instead, he can stay on I-80 and continue west and north to Cove, OR. This would save him some miles and time. It's entirely up to him if he wants to take the southern route or come north with me and FatNasty to Bismarck, ND.

-Day four should be the final driving day for me. GL and FatNasty should only need another day and a half, or so, to get home at that point.

I want you guys to speak up and post your ideas, correct any of my errors, and let me know if I missed anything. Plan for something to go wrong (car troubles, construction, bad weather, etc.). Chances are things won't go completely as planned, so we need to be prepared as well as we can. Anyone else on or near our route should speak up, as well. The more involved in the convoy, the better.

I will give you my honest opinion of the route, since I have driven most of it twice. Butte, Montana to Bismarck is smooth sailing. Bismarck to Tremont is also smooth, minus Chicago. Even though we are going around Chicago, it is still going to be a challenge on the south side (I-80). The more people involved, the more fun it will be.

More details as the time nears.

Well, as we discussed, if you want to just stop by my house, you can do that. Otherwise, if you want to meet at a restaurant and get supper, that's fine too. Just let me know as the time gets closer what you want to do.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I live in La Grande instead of Cove, but it's only 15 miles difference lol

It all sounds good to me, I'm gonna stick with you guys all the way back to Bismarck.
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I wish..... you guy's seem to have a good plan here...I could go possibly next time..
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln View Post
          It all sounds good to me, I'm gonna stick with you guys all the way back to Bismarck.
          That's good to hear. Safer to do it that way. I think Zack was unsure about meeting due to the timing of the whole thing. I'll let him confirm this. If he isn't available, we'll come back to Bismarck the same way we go out.

Comment

Well this all seems very well planned out My only concern is i forgot you were going a little early for the engine work, therefore i would need to take more time off of work. With my work schedule i work Fri, Sat, and Sun 11am-midnight (Long days but it gets me 4 days off per week). I think i would be able to get 6 days off; 2 weekends total. I would love to spend as much time as possible on vacation however if i miss any more than the 6 days i might go broke and my boss wouldn't be too happy either. So the problem is with this plan i would miss july 13,14,15,20,21,and 22nd. And if we left skippyville on the 24th and were able to return to bismarck on the 26th i would still miss the 27th (7 days). Not sure how we might be able to avoid this, but if it's possible i would like to just miss the 6 days. If not i might be able to get the extra day or so off, and eat a lot of ramen for a while. It will be worth it got go to scottfest, hell ramen ain't too bad anyways

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS!!!!:banana:

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Yeah you guys can stop by if you want but during the days but I won't be availible to hang out till 4 pm during weekdays unless it falls on a friday, in that case I could just skip school cause we only have a half of day on fridays. Anyway do what you want I won't be offended if you guys don't want to come.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

justin why is it gong to be hard around south Chicago/?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                  justin why is it gong to be hard around south Chicago/?
                  Have you ever driven thru Chicago? The traffic and road construction are awful. I never drive thru there unless absolutely necessary.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

just take 39 to 80

BTW.. i should come too when is this?

Comment

DAMN I wish I wasnt a broke beeeech...I would go to!
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88 View Post
                        Yeah you guys can stop by if you want but during the days but I won't be availible to hang out till 4 pm during weekdays unless it falls on a friday, in that case I could just skip school cause we only have a half of day on fridays. Anyway do what you want I won't be offended if you guys don't want to come.
                        Zack, if we don't get to you this time around, we'll make damn sure to get a Mid-west meet together. Due to time and your schedule, we may have to pass you up (sorry, man ). Then again, who the hell knows what's gonna happen. Why the hell do we all have to be so spread out up here?

Originally posted by DANARCHY View Post
                        just take 39 to 80
                        BTW.. i should come too when is this?
                        I-39 and I-80 is what we are taking. Read my first post for most of the details thus far. Would you drive or ride out to SF? You're more than welcome to join us on the trip. If you wanted to meet us at Nathan's, you could ride out with me or GL. Would just need a place to put your car for a couple weeks (if you drive down to the Twin Cities).

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                          Zack, if we don't get to you this time around, we'll make damn sure to get a Mid-west meet together. Due to time and your schedule, we may have to pass you up (sorry, man ). Then again, who the hell knows what's gonna happen. Why the hell do we all have to be so spread out up here?
                          Yeah, Justin, I know you've said you won't be able to do a midwest meet this year , but I'm still up for it, so if we can drum up some interest and get a few people to come, that'd be great.

Zack, I dunno if you'd be up for driving all the way to MN or not....let me know (we can take this discussion over to the Midwest meet thread).

Originally posted by Monterey1962
                          I-39 and I-80 is what we are taking. Read my first post for most of the details thus far. Would you drive or ride out to SF? You're more than welcome to join us on the trip. If you wanted to meet us at Nathan's, you could ride out with me or GL. Would just need a place to put your car for a couple weeks (if you drive down to the Twin Cities).
                          If it comes to that, Dan, you're welcome to leave your car at my place.

Comment

Bumpity-bump. Anyone have anything to add? Any updates on current comin' or not statuses? FatNasty, you still game?

Comment

GL, you mentioned in the chat that you would consider driving to ND and riding out the rest of the way with me. If FatNasty is coming for sure, that'll be three guys in the car. This is a good thing. That will be three guys splitting fuel costs. This could be a good option for all of us, especially at $3+/gallon for fuel.

I like the idea of all of us in one car, not just from the cost angle, but also from the angle of keeping track of one car, not two (again, I remind you of getting around Chicago).

If Dan decides to come, that's quite alright. It's a Panther, we could still stuff Nathan in the back seat with room to spare. :p

As for hauling all the stuff home ... I could pull the subwoofer out of the trunk and leave it at home beforehand, ... or ... if need be, buy a hitch and rent a trailer to haul the engine.

We've got lots of options, so keep your minds open.

Also, I'd like to leave open the option of seeing Zack. He's got to be one of the coolest people I've ever met and I feel bad when I think about not getting to include him in all this. Three people in the car means we can cover more ground in a shorter time and less fuel expense per person, giving us a better shot at reaching Zack on the trip home.

Comment

Working...
                              X