FatNasty's 1984 Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Hmm, it must be the Explorer Cam... You running the stock EFI fuel pump?
    Stock fuel pump. I plan on upgrading once it goes out.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

So does this mean no more hybrid instrument cluster? Or are you going to try to incorporate something digital into the new instrument panel as well?

I'd love to see how you put in the new gauges, I've been thinking about wanting a different setup as well.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
        So does this mean no more hybrid instrument cluster? Or are you going to try to incorporate something digital into the new instrument panel as well?

I'd love to see how you put in the new gauges, I've been thinking about wanting a different setup as well.
        Yep, no more hybrid cluster. I like it but I like autometer stuff better. No addition work on the gauges so far, school and work keeps me pretty busy.

I've gotten a bunch more wiring done though. All the fusible links are out and the wires are ready to go in the fuse box. Headlights are now (finally) on relays in the fuse box. All those wires and any other wires that were going towards the battery are are now run through the radiator support then tucked in the fender. Cut out some unnecessary wires in the body harness on the drivers side fender well. Also got started trimming all the fat in the engine wiring harness, and figuring out the few things I'll need to re-pin. cut out the smog wiring, a/c wiring, cutout relay, etc., and internal cruise wiring. Got a box full of wires removed so far. Was able to ditch several connectors that are kind of redundant in the 90-91 harness. Been a long day of unwrapping electrical tape and scouring through EVTM's. Gonna have to add the fuel flow pin to the ecm plug... I hate doing that, its a pita.

Attached Files

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

Looking super clean on the p.side inner fender.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Its annoying de-pinning harnesses but they look so much better to not be loaded up with useless wiring once you're done. I did a lot of that on Scott's 92 GMQ when we did the motor swap, and I removed a pretty significant amount of BS from that 88 cop car with the 351 too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dangit... i keep forgetting to check my fuse values for you. Do you still need them?
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Its annoying de-pinning harnesses but they look so much better to not be loaded up with useless wiring once you're done. I did a lot of that on Scott's 92 GMQ when we did the motor swap, and I removed a pretty significant amount of BS from that 88 cop car with the 351 too.
                I might hit you up at some point to see what I can squeeze out of you regarding useless wiring after a VV-4barrel swap.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Huge amounts of that can go on an MCU car. I think I was left with the Duraspark wiring, one wire to the idiot light sensors on the motor, and a small harness for the alternator and choke heater. Its mildly annoying since the MCU BS is bundled in with stuff you actually have to keep, but its not terrible.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

that's what I figured is a lot of stuff can go, it's just figuring out what won't narf with the emissions stuff and how to integrate it all.

/hijack

those fenders are looking super-neat. Inspirational, even.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Dangit Mark... indeed your wire tidying is making me feel like a slacker.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        Dangit... i keep forgetting to check my fuse values for you. Do you still need them?
                        Actually, yes, if you get a chance so I can compare to what I was planning.

Well wiring, wiring, and more wiring. over 100 soldered splices. Tons of wires removed, lots were shortened or extended. Lots of re-pinning as well. Lots of wire looming and heat shrinking. Getting close to done (at least with the wiring under the hood). Then its a bit more cleaning and re-installing a few pieces and i can drive it again. Then I'll have to finish designing my gauge layout and put those in.

I've been trying to make the engine bay as clean as i can, wiring was the big thing, but i've been focusing on getting rid of the bits of random color or parts that stand out a lot too. Took the yellowish color blower motor out, prepped, primed, and painted that black. Looks a ton better now.
                        I've been thinking a lot about redesigning the evaporator housing to make it less shitty looking, but thats a project that will be a ways out.

Did have a question though, the heat shield stuff on the evaporator housing below the heater hoses, is that just to keep the a/c as cold as possible, or is it needed to keep the plastic there from melting? The shield on my car is dirty, torn, and ugly. I'd love to get rid of it if I can. Not really any pics worth posting at the moment....

Comment

Forgot to mention, Im not completely sure, but I think the o2 sensor wiring was never quite right after my EFI upgrade, but I know it's correct now. I'm hoping that was part of my shitty mpg's. Also made another discovery that my fuel filter has been on backwards since i've owned the car. I had replaced it once a couple years ago and just put it in the way the old one was, which was wrong, never really payed much attention to it. Discovered when i went to replace the other day, the new one would only fit the correct way, which was opposite from before. My dumb ass had just never paid enough attention to the arrow.

Comment

I think the insulation is more of a heat shield to keep the box from melting rather than to keep the AC cold.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I think the insulation is more of a heat shield to keep the box from melting rather than to keep the AC cold.
                              Ah, well I'll have to find some new stuff to put on then.

Tried my hardest to finish the underhood stuff tonight, but I ran out of energy. Just have to finish re-installing the alternator cable and fuse, and some wiring to the dizzy area. Then I'll plug in one fuse at a time into the new box and test each circuit so I'll know which one is messed up if there is a problem. Then I'll be taking a test drive to check the new brake system. After that, gauges and a re-designed center console.

Comment

Some aluminum heat sheilding or heat-insulating sound deadener should work to replace the reflective stuff on the HVAC.

Comment

Working...
                                X