Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a center console from scratch, with no wood working skills!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    Nice! I don't think it looks bad except for the color. I guess visually from the side it wants to come up farther in the rear. Still, it looks super-handy and I like it!

Questions: 1) what's the switch for, and 2) how did you secure it to the floor?
    The switch controls the right side cigarette lighter. The left one is on all the time.

The fit of it is so good that it is wedged in there. I was planning to attach it where the piece that covers the radio and heater control attach, but it turns out it fits well enough to not need any other attachments.

Gonna try to bring the rear up more on the next attempt.

What you can't see in the picture are the nail and staple heads. Didn't counter sink them and some show through the vinyl. I thought the vinyl would hide them better. Next one will be different.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter View Post
      Cell phones don't belong in car's
      Cell phones shouldn't be used while driving, I agree
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark View Post
        What you can't see in the picture are the nail and staple heads. Didn't counter sink them and some show through the vinyl. I thought the vinyl would hide them better. Next one will be different.
        I wonder if one option would be to add a thin layer of some sort of padding under the vinyl? I kind of like countersunk construction screws myself since they're easy to work with and easily removable, though one day I need to get fancy and learn how to plug the holes (it doesn't look hard - just insert a tight-fitting dowel, trim with a flush-cut saw, and sand to finish). Another option might be to just use finishing nails with a nail set so they don't show. Guess this is a good time for me to be thinking about plans for these kind of projects!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp
          I wonder if one option would be to add a thin layer of some sort of padding under the vinyl?
          One option, but I just needed to spend more attention to detail. Went way to fast on building it.
          Last edited by 85MercPark; 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

I know what you mean, I often do exactly the same thing! :p

Comment

has anone thought of moving the heater controls or the radio to the center console and then installing the pop out cup holders from like an '90's series taurus in it's place
              sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

That's another good idea, and might not be that hard to implement. I'll have to let my brain mull it over next time I'm thinking about consoles.

Comment

looks like my volvo dash......but i dont have a cupholder

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yes. I grabbed the cup holders, just havnt figure out the details.

Comment

good eye, that is a set of taurus cup holders in a volvo. i searched google for images and all i found was a mod at a volvo site to put taurus cupholders in a volvo but they should fit in our cars, i know that when i had my t-bid they had three spaces on the dash one for the radio one for the the heater controls and one for a little shelf thing. itook out the shelf and moved the radio to the bottom and then the cup holders just cliped in where the radio went.
                      sigpic"I love it when a plan comes together." Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Comment

yes!!!!

those cupholders are standard DIN size and can fit in any DIN sized slot with no more effort than installing a head unit.
                        Ive also seen DIN sized CD storage trays and DIN size goodies you could get creative with
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...QQcmdZViewItem
                          put something like that on the bottom flat part of the cupholder :-p, just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post

*outdated pic*
                            I would love to do that in my car. How long did that take you?

Comment

I estimated about 10 hours when I made one for NateHawk
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

guage

same idea as me, cept im putin the gauges in the previous radio place, and the cb/radio where you put the gauges,Ps. I LOVE THE CONSOLE WORK, how much would you take to build me one?
                                sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

Working...
                                X