{INTERIOR} Bouncing speedo needle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{INTERIOR} Bouncing speedo needle

For a couple years the speedometer cable has been making that annoying grinding noise. Since the '88 was in for other work today, I had a new cable put in. Seems that the noise is gone, but the needle still has a little bouce while under 25 mph.

Anyone know what can cause the needle to bounce? I'm just looking for some info on how the speedometer works in our cars. Thanks.

-----------------
    Justin

My 140 does that.

It's shot... makes a grinding noise all the time...

I suggest lubing the bearing around where the cable goes into the speedo housing...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I wish i could help you out on that but i never had that to happen or knew someone with that problem but i will ask around..
      The Best
      Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Mine does it everytime I exceed 85mph :headbang:

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I cheked today and my bounces also around 25 mph... My needle also goes into th dash board when i past 85 and it disapear and my car keeps on goin never stops pickin up power i dont know how fast that thing go..
          The Best
          Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

What year speedos match the '88 GM? (19??-1989) Just wondering in case I take a trip to the salvage yard.

-----------------
            Justin

Comment

88-89 MGMs

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

the speedo on shifty bounced for awhile, then died completely. not that i could really exceed 35mph i listened to the motor and set my cruise based on revs

i put in another one and it sort of worked. you start the car and it goes automaticly to 35. i fixed it with a 140 cluster from pete, and i hope someday to be able to say i pegged that fucker :rock:
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yeah, GL does it too, but I could give a fuck less. Just another problem that needs fixed. Along with the damn dash clock that hasn't worked since my grandpa had it.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I pegged my 140!!! Most of the time its just the cable running from the transmission. When it dries up it binds and twists. When it twists up it springs loose and results in little bounces of the speedo. Not that big of a deal, if you know how to remove the speedo cable without having to take the cluster off. You have to memorize how to remove it so that you can just reach up there and get it off from behind. Its got 2 tabs that when you depress it lets you pull it off. Then just drop some gear oil down that sucker and it should go away.

Comment

The speedo in my Vic bounces from 10-20 back an forth. If I'm below 20 or 25 I have no idea what speed I'm going...it's just a bouncy bouncy.
                      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

What other types of lube can be used on the speedo cable? Can that Lithium grease in the aerosol can be used? The speedo still makes some noise when the temp is cold.

--------------------
                        Justin

Comment

theres a liquid graphite product called speedometer cable lube........i'll have to send u a tube if you cant find any........tom used some when he was up at christmas time........couldnt quiet a worn out speedo head tho
                          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                          X