This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slicktop Conversion in Progress :)

Finally started the slicktop conversion on the '82. Got started last Wednesday, took about five hours to get the top peeled. Thursday I removed glue, and continued that today.

This is why the conversion is taking place - a cracked vinyl top.

After taking tons of trim out along the headliner, and also the package tray and rear seat, the headliner comes down. Laying the seats back, four door cars can take it out through the rear doors. Two door cars come out the passenger door.
    After taking tons of trim out along the headliner, and also the package tray and rear seat, the headliner comes down. Four door cars can take it out through the rear doors. Two door cars come out the passenger door.

A pic of the insulation and stuff that adds weight to your car.

The top peels off.

Some of the green glue came off with the top (pray yours does as well).

What is underneath the top.

Another shot of what was left after the roof peeled off. Luckily, no rust!

The semi-unfinished seam. The factory piled some seam sealer in the seam, painted the car, and then took a "cheese grater" to kind of smooth out the seam.

Most of the glue is now removed. The seam sealer is going to be ground out and replaced. The rest of the glue will come when the DA sander comes out.
    Most of the glue is now removed. The seam sealer is going to be ground out and replaced. The rest of the glue will come when the DA sander comes out.

Stay tuned.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Awesome, keep up the good work!

This will def be a sticky when done
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

if the glue is being tough, you can soften the glue and make it separate easier if you use (ideally) a steamer of some sorts, or a heat gun
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Nice job! should look great when its finished.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
        1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

awesome!!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
            if the glue is being tough, you can soften the glue and make it separate easier if you use (ideally) a steamer of some sorts, or a heat gun
            I was thinking heat might help, so before I peeled the top I let the car sit in the sun all day. Lots of it came off with the top, so I;m thinking the sun treatment helped. I've got most of it off now by treating it with Goo Gone and scraping with a putty knife.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Yeah get that old shit out of the seam. Put some all metal or any other quality aluminum filler in the seam. Then put a light coat of polyester filler to smooth it out. Looks like a good start.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

So what color top are you replacing it with, and where are you getting the new interior headliner material
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  So what color top are you replacing it with, and where are you getting the new interior headliner material
                  he is replacing it with the invisible colour top!
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Top is going brown like the rest of the car for now. All I'm going to paint is the top. The rest of the car could use painting, but I'm trying this out to see if I like it all brown. The cut line is going to be the c-pillar trim for the vinyl top, I'm hoping to strip it and polish it. When I paint the whole car, the C-pillar trim will come off.

I got a quote for the headliner yesterday. He said $50 if I bring the board to him. The sunvisors need done along with the side panels in the back. I figure he'll do it all for about $100.

I want to start sanding, but I need some primer so I'll have something to spray down after I sand it. But payday is late for several reasons so I can't get anything yet!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

lookin' good Tiggie!
                      well...almost.

I thought about goin' Slicktop on MAGNA, but...I'm not crazy about slicktop MGMs for some reason.
                      plus, since I have the "privacy" style top(it takes up part of the rear window) I would have to get my rear tints redone...
                      meh, I'll just get it replaced...less paint to clean/wax.

but if I had a Vic...I'd slicktop that biatch!
                      Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 06-04-2007, 07:22 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                        he is replacing it with the invisible colour top!
                        you know me, all the unpopular stuff is a plus in my book. Vinyl tops, air conditioning, power options, EFI, aluminum wheels, chrome/stainless "granny" trim, woodgrain, etc. All that stuff that everyone else removes.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          you know me, all the unpopular stuff is a plus in my book. Vinyl tops, air conditioning, power options, EFI, aluminum wheels, chrome/stainless "granny" trim, woodgrain, etc. All that stuff that everyone else removes.
                          You aren't the only one, that stuff awesome!

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                          1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                          1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I am gonna get my full top replaced in a year or so Hopefully some money for some new paint. White or pearl white vic with a shade of red for the top. Then I can keep my red interior :p

Comment

ugh what a pain in the ass the vynl top removal was for me.

end result tho is the best. hope yors works out like mine did!

BTW interesting note on the seam sealer.

Ford decided instead to make a pre-cut strip of foam that goes in place of the seam on the later cars
                              Last edited by 1987LTDmasta; 06-05-2007, 11:21 PM.
                              LTD is still here

Comment

Working...
                              X