Recent upgrades and pics of the Merc *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent upgrades and pics of the Merc *DUW*

I have not posted any info on my Merc in a while, so I figured I'd show off some new pics.

Just a few weeks ago I completed the EATC conversion on the Merc -

It is fully operational, and I came up with a really slick way to completely avoid replacing the manual blend door in place of the EATC blend door. Otherwise, I would not have done this project as I have no desire to drop the dash :P

Here are some newer interior pics to go along with that, this was just after being detailed in preperation for the Carlisle all-ford nationals car show:

More *new* interior pics here: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/7603/57404

Here are some newer engine bay pics, nothing visible has changed except for the spark looming. Unseen are a few wiring revisions:

More here: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/7603/56081

And a few more recent exterior shots of the car:

HPPs still looking good:

This was taken after an extensive swirl removal session. Click the image for the rundown to get the finish like that

More of the swirl removal pics: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/7603/56848

I have a huge stack of parts piled up that I've really been putting off the install too long. I hope to get it all installed in the near future as I have time. I have a few more cosmetic mods in the works, as well as numerous powertrain and interior upgrades as well.

And if you're curious what mods have been done to the car since you last heard, just click the modifications link in my sig.

Anyways, thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed the pics
    -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
    My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Man your car is sweet!

I love your exhaust...
    1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
    FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Thanks!

Some day when I'm feeling ambitious I'm going to redo the exhaust cats-back in 2.25" w/ mandrel bends vs the current dual 2" setup. I want to keep it nice and quiet, though, so I'm on the look out for a nice deal on some Marauder Ravin mufflers.

Oh, and some fat rear tires are getting pretty high on my priority list
      Modifications

Comment

Nice! I like the exhaust, gauge pods... well everything....Damn clean man!
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Looks great. I do require some information on this EATC thing. Do you have a vacuum operated blend door instead of the electronic mess that always seems to break on the newer towncars? If so, would you feel like sharing the secret of making that function with an electronic controller? I'm curious if I can retrofit some sort of more modern blend door control on my box without installing that electric blend door actuator that seems failure prone.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

DAmn man...I'm jealous. That thing looks like it just left the showroom floor...probably better. I wish I had the ambition to get my Thunderbird looking that good.
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Its better than showroom. You'd probably come back as a breeze at your funeral to blow dust off your casket.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

looks good
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I like the center part on your console/dash, how much have you done to that section??

I'm just waiting for PotM to come your way, lol.
                  1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                  1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                  1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Thanks guys!

I like the center part on your console/dash, how much have you done to that section??
                    Well, first was the color-matched console install.
                    This required cutting the stock bench seats down to buckets and looking as factory as possible.
                    Here is my only known before shot of the dash:

after console install:

A short time after the console install I mounted my scangauge recessed into the console and trimmed my old ashtray as a filler.

after SG mount and filler piece:

Later, I installed a Marauder ashtray gauge pod, an OEM piece. I had the trim this to fit my console and then color matched. Installed are two VDO vision gauges to match my exisitng tach and factory instrumentation.
                    Pic:

And last was the EATC install:

Looks great. I do require some information on this EATC thing. Do you have a vacuum operated blend door instead of the electronic mess that always seems to break on the newer towncars? If so, would you feel like sharing the secret of making that function with an electronic controller? I'm curious if I can retrofit some sort of more modern blend door control on my box without installing that electric blend door actuator that seems failure prone.
                    Not quite. I had no desire to drop my dash and swap my manual control electronic blend door in favor of the EATC blend door, which has a potentiometer.
                    This was a deal breaker for the install until I figured out a way around it.

I bought a EATC blend door and a pigtail, and wired it to the EATC module. I attached the rotating pivot/arm to the temperate control potentiometer from the old manual control panel (removed from panel and took off knob)
                    Basically the EATC controls the EATC blend door, which moves the old manual temp knob which in turn controls the factory manual blend door.
                    The EATC is happy, everything works great, and I didn't have to bother dropping the dash to replace my factory blend door! :banana:

With my little 'trick' I think a lot more people will be willing to take the plunge on the EATC swap. www.p71interceptor.com/eatcswap
                    Last edited by drock96marquis; 06-13-2007, 11:52 AM.
                    Modifications

Comment

Neat!

Wonder how much work would be needed to adapt the marauder pod to a box...I've been attempting a small console with gauges, cupholders, USB ports, TwEECer swtich, and USB port for the TwEECer, but cannot come up with an easy way to pull it off.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I like the 'modern' look of the EATC (my Sport has it) but it tries to have a mind of it's own too often when picking heat/cool settings. I liked the old dial and fan knob adjustment, it was easier to control.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                        302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                        '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                        '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Originally posted by AOD View Post
                          I like the 'modern' look of the EATC (my Sport has it) but it tries to have a mind of it's own too often when picking heat/cool settings. I liked the old dial and fan knob adjustment, it was easier to control.
                          The look was my main reason for installing it lol.
                          If you want a more manual like way to control it, set the temp to 90 for heat, or 60 for a/c and control the fan speed yourself using the thumbwheel, and the air outlet with the buttons.
                          This will make it function like a glorified manual control - the temp will not change while it's on, it won't try to change the air outlet, and the fan speed will stay at whatever you put it.

Originally posted by mrltd
                          Wonder how much work would be needed to adapt the marauder pod to a box...I've been attempting a small console with gauges, cupholders, USB ports, TwEECer swtich, and USB port for the TwEECer, but cannot come up with an easy way to pull it off.
                          That sounds like a cool project, best of luck with it!
                          The less curvaceous box dashboard will probably be easier to duplicate and look OEM for a totally custom console. Do you plan on wrapping it in color matched vinyl ala the stock dash, or something else?

About the Marauder pod - you may have a tough time getting it to blend in right. If you need any measurements for planning, let me know
                          Modifications

Comment

Originally posted by drock96marquis View Post

Not quite. I had no desire to drop my dash and swap my manual control electronic blend door in favor of the EATC blend door, which has a potentiometer.
                            This was a deal breaker for the install until I figured out a way around it.

I bought a EATC blend door and a pigtail, and wired it to the EATC module. I attached the rotating pivot/arm to the temperate control potentiometer from the old manual control panel (removed from panel and took off knob)
                            Basically the EATC controls the EATC blend door, which moves the old manual temp knob which in turn controls the factory manual blend door.
                            The EATC is happy, everything works great, and I didn't have to bother dropping the dash to replace my factory blend door! :banana:

With my little 'trick' I think a lot more people will be willing to take the plunge on the EATC swap. www.p71interceptor.com/eatcswap
                            Ahh, ok. I thought all the newer ones had an electrically operated blend door. My car has a vacuum operated one, and I was thinking if your for whatever reason also had vacuum operation it might be neat to sub in the electronic ATC for the vacuum ATC. Probably wouldn't be practical unless I were to do what you did, but instead of having it operate the stock temperature pot, I had it operate the stock vacuum control thing. Sounds like it would get messy, the stupid vacuum controller is touchy enough. Looks good in any case. I like the console setup on your car a lot.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X