Which push rods??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which push rods??!!

I'm ordering parts for my 351 build. I'm lookin at push rods and I am not sure which ones to get. I have a choice between 8.144 or 7.700in rods. I need new hardened ones cause I'm using guide plates and some heavy duty valve springs. Its an 89 block and I'm running world windsor sr heads with 7/16 stud mount 1.6 rockers.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Only way to know for sure is to measure with an adjustable rod. I ended up ordering 8.5" rods for my 351/408

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

ideally you would measure after you have installed the heads
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

U guys think I outta get new Pushrods for my motor, too?
        sorry
        Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 06-15-2007, 05:23 PM.
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

probably

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

stock replacements like this ok?
            http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5648
            or do I need to get something tougher?
            Last edited by Mr. Land Yacht; 06-15-2007, 06:20 PM.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

hardened ones if you have guide plates

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                stock replacements like this ok?
                http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,5648
                or do I need to get something tougher?
                Its the length that becomes a concern. Have to measure for proper valvetrain geometry once its together. And yeah, you need hardened pushrods if you have guide plates and stud mount rovkers. If you're keeping pedastals, you probably dont need guide plates but the hardened won't hurt you any.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Its not really a good idea to guess at a number. It doesnt take much to get the geometry out of whack, have parts start failing, and metal shreds to circulate the brand new motor. I'll see if i can find my Comp Cams adj pushrod if one of y'all want it, same price i paid for it. W'll just pass it around to the ppl with new engines as they're finished and keep it in the family

Like Deuce said, you check the length when the motor is being assembled and the heads can be set on. Good time to do it is when you're testing for p-t-v clearance
                  Last edited by phayzer5; 06-15-2007, 10:36 PM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

summit has em for 11 bux... I think I'll just buy my own for whenever I need it.

Comment

so looks like the 8.144's are it. I measured and checked the rocker sweep on the valve stem and it was centered pretty well. Total measurement came out to be a hair over 8 and 1/8. But I have to account for the correct lifter height when they are pumped up tho but it looks damn close and I think with that long of rod I'll be in good shape.

Comment

I'm assuming thats not the stock length ?
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it is, theres 7.7in ones for rollers I'd imagine and the 8.144 for flat tappet

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
                            U guys think I outta get new Pushrods for my motor, too?
                            sorry
                            If you want, give me a call when you've got the heads on - I just bought a Comp length checker, 5.800" to 6.800", that extends 0.050" with each turn. Just might be able to let you borrow it.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                            X