Heat or no heat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat or no heat.

I've been thinkin this over for a bit. Since the merk is not a DD and only a nice weather hot rod. Should I leave the heater or remove it. I'm not sure if I would ever use it or need it. The only thing I can think of is defrost but I'm not gonna drive it in the cold. The general opinion is to remove it from the few people I talked to about it. Give me some opinions and give me a valid reason with it please!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

All that HVAC adds weight. Toss it. Matter of fact, just rip the entire dash out of it, build a simple bracket arrangement to keep the wiring organized, and a simple gauge pod to keep track of the vitals.

Comment

Keep the heat, having defrost is an inspection requirement in some states.

Comment

not in mine, there are no inspections

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

I say toss it as long as you are sure you will never need to drive it in the winter, use the space for something else
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I would leave it in because say in the winter you need a back up car for a day or 2 then you wished you left it in. one question pete hows the alarm working out for you does it work nice?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
              I would leave it in because say in the winter you need a back up car for a day or 2 then you wished you left it in. one question pete hows the alarm working out for you does it work nice?
              Well, he could start a small campfire in the passenger-side floorboard, that would build up some heat to clear the windshield...

Comment

Originally posted by ButtSlappingPirate View Post
                Well, he could start a small campfire in the passenger-side floorboard, that would build up some heat to clear the windshield...
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                  Its going in storage in the winter so that wont be nessasary...besides I probably couldnt start it with a chokless carb.

Alarm is good now that I'm used to it...I found the valet button sean was talking about and I can work on it and the doors will stay unlocked and the alarm wont go off if I slam the hood or bump it too hard.

Comment

I'd take it out, it just adds useless weight if you'd never use it. Besides, can't the heater core get messed up while you're racing or something? Why is that?
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

88vic: Too much pressure in the coolant lines from high engine RPMs cause the core to balloon out or explode.
                      Nick
                      88 Colony Park LS
                      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon View Post
                        88vic: Too much pressure in the coolant lines from high engine RPMs cause the core to balloon out or explode.
                        I don't know if any of you remember the idiot I made fun of over at CVN (around 2003-2004, he wasn't a CVN member, the car was for sale on Ebay), who put an outside heater core on top of the defroster vents, I was cracking jokes about him frying bacon while he drove shirtless (all the bacon grease popping and burning him, and then he rearended somebody, slamming his face into the hot bacon skillet, his screams muffled by all the bacon stuck to his face and mustache).....he put it up on the vents, instead of replacing the heater core in the dash...

Comment

My core is currently bypassed, and I miss it.

My blend door is useless with no heat to blend!

The other day I had the A/C on norm and low blower and it was to cold, I shut it of and it was too hot.

I slid the blend over to half hot half cold......no difference because there is no hot coolant flowing through my heater core.....keep it.
                          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

I would leave it for the defrost. If you're concerned about it exploding, but a valve on there to bypass it, but defrost is useful in the rain, or after giving someone a close inspection of the back seat area, etc. Unless you're going to rip the dash apart to pull all the hvac plumbing out, you will save no weight simply by not hooking it up.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good points, I know for sure the evaporator core or whatever is going no matter what. I just dont know how much of a pain its gonna be to cut it out and rebuild the plenum for the heater and make it smaller or if its even worth it. Taking it all out and putting aluminum plates in sounds much easier lol...

I like the idea of having a completely clear firewall to mount my ignition and fuel pressure regs ect...onto. I'm taking out the inner fenders too and I'm gonna see how much I like it or hate it for that matter. The dash is gonna get ripped apart and I'm gonna rip out all the useless stuff for the efi and a/c and tripminder since I cant use it. Gotta lighten the load!

Comment

Working...
                              X