Took it back to the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took it back to the track

So, manually shifting it, running on my 17" Cobra R's with the Corvette Yokohama's on the back, it ran 16.8 at 81Mph, though I over-shot drive for a split second and hit neutral

That was the best run I got out of her, traction was a pretty big issue on the rest of the passes and I only tried manually shifting it on two of them but that one pass she hooked up really well.

I had some guy in a full sized Chev come up to me in the staging lanes right after I made that pass and ask me what I was running. I said "16.8 that last pass" and he said "Oh shit, I'm running like mid 18's, I'm trying to find somebody to run against". He lined up against an F-250 diesel and got severely schooled
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Dont know what quarter times Creamy can pull at this point. The car now will jerk the front end up at the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. Traction off the line well just say there is no wheel spin so far unless the is gravel on the road.
    I have had cars that on the street hooked up good then on the track spin them.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

weird.....my towny hooks right up......best so far 15.91

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Last time I went out I had Tons of traction problems, best pass ended up 17.002@79, and the only major changes from stock were the a/c and air system gone, and a H.O Upper and T.B. My best time was acheived while manually shifting the transmission, hold in 1, shift into to, back to one, ect. What track are you going to overkill? Your another Ontarian if I'm not mistaken? If you didnt live in peterborough I'd say come to Toronto motorsports park with me, but you over 3 hours away. You should get a picture of your timeslip and put it up in the timeslip thread.
        sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
        Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
        Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
        1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Originally posted by OVERKILL View Post
          So, manually shifting it, running on my 17" Cobra R's with the Corvette Yokohama's on the back, it ran 16.8 at 81Mph, though I over-shot drive for a split second and hit neutral
          What gears are you running out back? A Towncar is pretty heavy, if I had one i'd try to find 3.73 gears and run those. I'm lookin for a wagon to fix up, and when I get one i'd like to find 3.73's, but if it already has, say an e-code rear end or a k-code(if they ever came with those, i'm not sure), i'll be fine with that.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

How long were you holding the gears out? You have an E-cam, so I'd guess you'd want to hold to about ~5.5K or so to get the most out of it. I would think that you should be running alot faster than a 16.8 with that motor, but I could be wrong.
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Why is it that people have trouble hooking up with less that 250 rwhp in a 4000lb car? Something aint right.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis View Post
                Why is it that people have trouble hooking up with less that 250 rwhp in a 4000lb car? Something aint right.
                I would agree. Never ran my Vic on the track but up against my Friend's lightly modded Mark VIII (Ran 14.9-15.3s at Milan Dragway) it is neck and neck, with me pulling after 80 MPH. Just load the TC up, a quick chirp, and you're gone.

Comment

I can floor mine and it will not chirp, ever after I did the explorer intakes, and tb and stuff.
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                    I would agree. Never ran my Vic on the track but up against my Friend's lightly modded Mark VIII (Ran 14.9-15.3s at Milan Dragway) it is neck and neck, with me pulling after 80 MPH. Just load the TC up, a quick chirp, and you're gone.
                    If I load it up, and hit the gas, on the snow tires I was running it on before, it would literally NOT MOVE and just melt the tires. The big Yokohama's only slip a little bit, and they hooked really well that one pass.

I have NO IDEA what RPM I was shifting it, SOUNDED like 5,000, but until I install a tach, I'm not sure.

I WILL NOT be running the car on a slick again (I did that before) because it made the tranny slip, and it doesn't SEEM to be slipping anymore with the cooler installed, but I don't want to push my luck.

The car has factory posi and 3.27's out back, 3.73's would be nice.

Yes, the car should be faster. It IS heavier than a GM or CV though, so even making more power, it's still going to be slower because it's like 4,200lbs or so with me in it.

I'm sure shifting it at the right RPM with a tach would yield a much better ET, but I'm pretty concerned about the tranny at this point and don't feel like pushing my luck with it too much. The car REALLY starts to pull hard in the upper RPM's, but without a tach, really optimizing my shift points has been very difficult and I've only tried doing that (manually shifting) twice to date.

It's comical that even my crappy manual shifting (and inadvertent shift into neutral) still netted me a reduction of 4 10ths off my previous best pass though So she IS getting better.

When I get my scanner back (I lent it to a customer) I'll post up the timeslip. I was running at Shannonville, and I've been to Cayuga a few times to watch the IHRA Nationals, but I prefer Grand Bend, though it's quite the trek! I'll probably be running the Capri at either Cayuga or Grand Bend at some point this summer, so 91LTDProject, if you want to meet up, we can definitely do that!
                    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
                      I can floor mine and it will not chirp, ever after I did the explorer intakes, and tb and stuff.
                      Dear lord! STOCK mine would spin, though at the track it would only chirp. Now, it will spin like a bastard.

Comment

Only time I can spin tires is if they are wet. My tires have too much grip otherwise. Its got a plenty torquey cam in there, and it goes like hell, just doesn't break traction. Not that this is a bad thing mind you, but I'll lose in a burnout contest.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, the Yokohama tires I have on there right now are the rain tires for road racing off a Z06 Corvette.........

Comment

yeah the lopo cam had more torque because of all the restrictions on the stock motor. My lincoln would roast em when I first got it. After the HO conversion, only sometimes. I think I am either running lean or rich, I have to check my plugs.
                            1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Depends on the tires I guess. My old 225-60-16 Yokohama Tourings would just explode at 1/2 throttle, IIRC. I think they were made of wax, with a super-high treadwear number of 600+.

Comment

Working...
                              X