{CARB SWAP} MSD is in, tuned the carb..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{CARB SWAP} MSD is in, tuned the carb..

Ok, I got home today, and my nice shiney new MSD 6AL got here. So not wasting any time, I went and installed it. Very good instructions, and was able to make a pretty nice instalation...

I love it!

Heres a pic of the duraspark module that survived multiple overheating...it ruptured the silicone, and the epoxy started to melt! :hairrais:

Here is the install. This weekend i'm going to install me new plug wires, and my chrome valve covers...and clean up the motor some, and possibly start on the WIRING AUDIT, lol....

Then I spent the rest of the time tuning the carb, to get the optimal setup...I got the thing to idle as smooth as glass, but it still loads up momentarily on any good amount of acceleration.

So my theory is the accelerator pump needs adjustment. im gonna make it so that it doesnt unload all that fuel into the carb UNLESS I FLOOR IT.

But thats all for tommarow. I'm whupped!

GMGT
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

:slug: glad the gmgt is almost tip top now
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Re: MSD is in, tuned the carb..

Originally posted by grand_marquis_gt
      .I got the thing to idle as smooth as glass, but it still loads up momentarily on any good amount of acceleration.

So my theory is the accelerator pump needs adjustment. im gonna make it so that it doesnt unload all that fuel into the carb UNLESS I FLOOR IT.
      Glad to see you are making progress!!
      Where is your fuel pressure regulator in that picture? Your pressure guage needs to be in between your filter and the carb or you will have no clue how much fuel pressure is feeding the carb.
      "Loading up" is making an assumption. Are you referring to stumbling or hesitating?

Comment

Way to go kepp it up keep it up
        The Best
        Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
          .I got the thing to idle as smooth as glass, but it still loads up momentarily on any good amount of acceleration.

Glad to see you are making progress!!
          Where is your fuel pressure regulator in that picture? Your pressure guage needs to be in between your filter and the carb or you will have no clue how much fuel pressure is feeding the carb.
          "Loading up" is making an assumption. Are you referring to stumbling or hesitating?
          Well Ed, I removed that filter, cause I think its a little bit overkill, lol....

And it seems to hesitate for a second when I punch it, or accelerate a good deal...I'm gonna mess with it today, and let everyone know how it goes.

Im going to remove the rod for the accel pump, taking it out of the circuit, and see what happens, just for an expiriment...

Comment

Well Ed, I removed that filter, cause I think its a little bit overkill, lol....
            And it seems to hesitate for a second when I punch it, or accelerate a good deal...I'm gonna mess with it today, and let everyone know how it goes.
            I am talking about the filter you are using for your return.

Comment

I dont evn use a return anymore.

I ditched that setup and run a low pressure inline pump...

Comment

Never mind.........I am getting blind in my old age.......I didn't look close enough at the picture

Comment

lookin good! get rid of those nasty valve covers

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The front bowl vent is capped off in the picture, maybe leave it open to the atmosphere.

Hesistation when you give it gas might be a misadjusted accellerator pump circuit.

That is your initial timing at?

Tom

Comment

Yeah, I capped off the vent. Should I uncap it?

Yeah I think the accelerator pump is what I think is causing my problem...

And my base timing is set at 14 BTDC...

Comment

my motor is as clean as urs, jus i have to get rid of vac hoses.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman
                          my motor is as clean as urs, jus i have to get rid of vac hoses.
                          clean? ahahaha!
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you disconnect the accel pump totally it will hesitate and possibly pop back thru the carby when you stomp it.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You gotta get them wires organized in that engine compartment, be a professional not a slatherass. :asshat:

Comment

Working...
                              X