Steering box woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering box woes

Well, my TC has had a power steering leak since way before I got it from my father. It was never much of a leak, just a few drips. I thought it was the return line initially, which was pretty dry rotted and hard-cracked, so I replaced it when I first got the car.

The leak persisted.

Well, over the last few months, the leak got worse. I tried the crap I most hate, Lucas, which did a little to slow the leak, but not much.

It was leaking around the Pitman arm, and I figured, I'd just buy a new box at some point.

Well, fast forward to Thursday, I'm on my way home from a buddy's house and the seal let go. I lost all my power steering fluid VERY quickly. I then lost my power steering.

So, I went to the local wreckers, who took a box off a Crown Victoria for me. No big deal.

Until I went to put it on.

The rag joint connector is DIFFERENT??????? The boxes themselves look physically identical, but where the shaft slides onto the box is different. The TC one is pretty much completely round with one side flat. The Crown Vic one has flat spots on four sides. Needless to say, the TC shaft will NOT slide onto the CV box. So, looks like I'm going to have to go back to the wreckers and find a steering shaft

Oh the FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

the 91's are different than the early cars IIRC. Could have a 91 box, or just a newer box 92+
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well, I ended up merging the rag joint that came with it with my TC shaft. It seems to work except it makes the shaft about 1/2" longer, and my shaft, which I think looks like it's supposed to "slide" in the middle, doesn't anymore, so I have no adjustability there, which sucks. On a brighter note, I do have steering now! but before I drive it, I'd like the shaft to be right.
      1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

OK, some MAP torches, some serious hammer action and a lot of swearing and the shaft came apart. It was then cleaned off with some 600 grit sand paper, and then greased lovingly and put back together.

Things then went back together pretty well.

Now, the wreckers this came from, 90% of their Crown Vic's (which is what this box came from) are ex cop cars, dressed as Taxi cabs, were these boxes any different from the TC boxes? The reason I ask is that the steering seems more responsive but "tighter", like it requires a bit more effort to turn the wheel..........

Comment

Yes, the later PI's had less assist and a different ratio.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
          X