Nice catch on the clutches Ivan.

Looking great under there John.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah that would have really sucked to try and mesh one of those through the R&P set. It may have even gotten part way through but I doubt it would have made a full pass. certainly would have left a trail of destruction in it's wake.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        yeah that would have really sucked to try and mesh one of those through the R&P set. It may have even gotten part way through but I doubt it would have made a full pass. certainly would have left a trail of destruction in it's wake.
        There would be definite carnage indeed.

As I'm getting used to how the transmission acts, i believe the first thing I'm gonna mess with is the 3-4 WOT shift point and more importantly the 4-3 downshift. Yes you read that right, the transmission will shift into overdrive at WOT. When you ask? About 75mph, and it will not downshift either. so not only does it not downshift, it just unlocks the converter and laughs in your face while you're trying to go faster. Gonna set WOT points at higher RPM so it will actually downshifts and stays in 3rd longer so it's in the engine's powerband. I'd imagine that having the transmission shift into overdrive at WOT would be bad news haha. So if I could completely keep it from upshifting that'd probably be best. I know I could just push the overdrive override button, but I don't still don't think that it should keep it locked in overdrive haha.
        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 07-28-2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
          the early limited slip clutches had square tabs and were notorious for cracking/breaking. Ford redesigned the clutches with round tabs to eliminate the failures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47996[/ATTACH]
          Well aware of that. The LSD in this car was IIRC not rebuilt using new clutches and shit, but just rearranged so it can accommodate the extra clutch.

The broken pieces got chucked by the carrier up and right over the pinion's head, and into the passage used for the ring gear to fling oil towards the front pinion bearing. Once there gravity took over and they fell on top of the pinion shaft between the inner and outer bearings, and eventually passed around it and found a resting place under the shaft, between the two bearings. It is highly unlikely they could have cause any harm from in there, as the bearing cages would have prevented them from grinding on the rollers, and as a result they would have just been stuck in there between the two bearings front and rear, the pinion shaft above, and the center section case below and to the sides. But, better safe than sorry, extracted they got.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
            Well aware of that. The LSD in this car was IIRC not rebuilt using new clutches and shit, but just rearranged so it can accommodate the extra clutch.

The broken pieces got chucked by the carrier up and right over the pinion's head, and into the passage used for the ring gear to fling oil towards the front pinion bearing. Once there gravity took over and they fell on top of the pinion shaft between the inner and outer bearings, and eventually passed around it and found a resting place under the shaft, between the two bearings. It is highly unlikely they could have cause any harm from in there, as the bearing cages would have prevented them from grinding on the rollers, and as a result they would have just been stuck in there between the two bearings front and rear, the pinion shaft above, and the center section case below and to the sides. But, better safe than sorry, extracted they got.
            Install the correct/updated clutches and the problem is solved.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I'm accepting donations for new style clutches, Eric. Got 8?

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
                Install the correct/updated clutches and the problem is solved.
                Again, what was installed was what was available at the time. Not my vehicle, not my call to make.
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Any updates?

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                    Any updates?

-ryan s.
                    Yes. Some know and some don't that recently I have had some work done by Ivan. This work included a cam, new 3 core radiator, ac condenser, new valve springs, and explorer accessories. I picked the car up about 3 weeks ago. As expected it needs to be retuned. A process that will be done later on. As right now it's not a priority as i have other things that need to be done first. I don't have ac right now. Reason being my stupid abs pump is blatantly in the way of the mounting of the compressor. It cannot be moved. As moving it outward anymore hits the air box assembly. So the search for a new and pump has begun. In order to do that, I would need to change a few things...

1) The ABS Master cylinder, at least the reservoir. As I would no longer need the feed line for the HCU. I think I will just use a new master cylinder that works with my new HCU. So here's the plan...2001 crown Victoria P71 ABS. It will utilize all of my current wheel speed sensors. Iwould have to extend some wiring but that is no big deal. This leads to...

2) P71s with Traction lock have 3 channel ABS 2 front and the rear. It uses 4 sensors but 1 brake line shared between the left and right rear wheels. This will put the brake lines out of the way of the AC compressor. Now as you know after 1994 panthers were OBD-2 so I would need to implement a DLC under the dash to retrieve codes. Which got me to thinking. Since the computer I have running the engine and transmission right now is not very supported, this would be the time to go OBD-2. This would lead to this...

3) With OBD-2 I would need another harness, and I would need to change things in the transmission. TCC and possibly some other things if I want to utilize the hard plastic harness for inside the transmission, this would be ideal because that would mean all internal electronic components are the most recent/ updated parts. But in order to do that I have to drop the valve body... *what the fuck*. That also isn't a big deal. It's just annoying because I really didn't want to have the car at work and immobilized for a long period of time. Because this isn't gonna startup and drive away once everything is installed.

4) The computer I chose to do this was a 2001 Crown Victoria P71. Partially because it was what i could get my hands on and it doesn't have PATS and it should be able to control everything I want it to. Two speed fan via 2 ground controlled relays and add an added bonus... Coil On Plug ignition. This will be made possible by two brackets that will attach to the lower valve cover bolts which will hold the coil packs in place over the spark plugs on my 302.

5)The harness I chose was one from a 2001 Lincoln TownCar. This set me back for a couple of reasons... TownCars, do not use a vehicle speed sensor. They do not use a wire for the Transmission indicator light. They do not use a fuel flow wire. They do not use a brake light switch input wire. It's all done via communication databus. The TownCar ECU is already difficult because of Pats. But then the tripminder wouldn't work. Etc. Etc. Etc. So I needed to add some wires. Luckily, I had ecm pins from the harness that came with my explorer motor all those years ago. So that portion is done. There will be updates and pictures soon.

Comment

Good luck John with all of the work.

Pioneer in this field for sure.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Regarding the 3-channel ABS, it's a kind of a bullshit setup. With a very tight limited-slip diff if one rear wheel is locking up if the brake on that wheel only were to completely release that would allow wheel speed to likely match that of the wheel that still has good traction. But with a single-rear-channel ABS both brakes will release equally at once, so if the ABS catches one wheel slipping it will drop line pressure to where the locked-up wheel gains traction again, too bad in the process you're losing some braking force from the one wheel that was never sliding to begin with. What's worse, you may actually still be sliding on the low-traction side but the ABS won't know it cause due to the strong LSD that VSS is now reading something that matches the overall vehicle speed close enough. 4-channel is better in every possible way, as even if it were to completely release one rear brake the other side is still operating at its best possible performance considering the particular conditions - so at worst you get 3 out of 4 brakes, whereas with the single-rear-channel setup you get 2.5 out of 4 brakes (full fronts and one half-ass rear).

I do think moving away from the early ABS setup is a step in the right direction, as that thing is way too complicated and cumbersome. Thing is tho, since with the new setup there won't be no extra fat fluid flow hose between the HCU and the master reservoir, the HCU itself gives no #2 where exactly you install it. For example mine lives on the firewall under the driver-side hood hinge, but that ain't where the factory put it in the 2001 models, just the only place that I could fit it easily enough. In your case, can the thing live say on the frame rail, under the driver's floor pan? Then you can easily run 4 wheel brake lines, and the ones from the master cyl would come down following the factory late box Panther routing.

The coil-on-plug thing, how are you planning on addressing the matter that the COP-type coils are set up for a plug that points up from the head straight at them, whereas yours come out the side and in case of IIRC #7 point straight at the header tubes?

Comment

CoP: probably have to use LS style coils (coil near plug) somehow.

Also... the TCC solenoid can be changed to the newer one with an older computer in prep for the change over and still works fine as it just draws less current. The old TCC solenoid can't be used with newer computers as it blows up the computer from too much current draw. If your trans is 95+, it should already have the newer TCC solenoid as that's a 92-94 part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Problem with 4 channel is they're all traction control. I feel traction control would be redundant with a limited slip.

As for the COP. I cannot utilize LS coils add they are 3 wire. Power, ground and 5 volt trigger. Modular Ford COP coils will be utilized. Similar to this setup http://www.blakemachine.com/performa..._6__4_cylinder.
                            As far as the torque converter clutch solenoid, I do not know what Eric put in. I only know that it works. I will have to change it astound regardless as the MLPS is different and now a digital transmission range sensor.

Comment

It won't really be redundant, it just won't ever do much of anything. If both rear wheels are turning, as far as the TC brain knows nothing is slipping. Is the current system 3 or 4 channel? If its already plumbed for 4 channel, may as well keep it.

Either that or you have a Mark VII and the best ABS system ever created. Just make the Mark non-ABS and install the glory that is the Teves Mark II on your Vic.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It is 4 channel now. But all 4 channels are traction control and more wiring. Also. Fuck that teves bullshit. Maybe you should convert the Mark to a P71 unit. Self contained wiring.

Comment

Working...
                                X