{DRIVETRAIN}why trac-lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{DRIVETRAIN}why trac-lock?

Other than the fact that it grabs the pavement when you're wasting someones' POS, why run a trac-lock? Is it better in snow, rain, ice, gravel, etc., than an open dif?

-------------------------
    Justin

Generally it's for better traction. Probably not better in say, snow, because it would spin around easier.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

im soooooooo happy i went with trac loc. when i launch, they both squeek just a little and it bites. when i corner hard and accelerate, it used to burn the inside tire which may cause the ass end to come around, now it doesnt burn that tire and the ass end just plants to the ground and im on my way. if i want it to break free, its a show.. because im driftin sideways like a mofo. now, i havent driven it in the rain yet.... but i will let you know when i do. if you change your gears, you BETTER go trac loc. it cost me $75 with shipping for a nice low milage unit from ebay. do it!

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

Traction in ALL situations is improved.

Get a trac-loc. End of story.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I'm split 50/50 on this decision. I hate to spend the money to get new gears in and find out that the open-diff. breaks a tire loose all the time. The one big thing holding me back is the control in snow/ice conditions. I live in ND, you know, so there's the shitty winters.

when i corner hard and accelerate, it used to burn the inside tire
          That's one thing I want to avoid. My biggest pet-pieve is loss of traction and spinning tires.

Are there any real downsides to running trac-lock? Sorry for all the questions, guys, but I want to be sure before anything gets torn apart.
          -----------------------------
          Justin

Comment

the only "down side" is that one day the clutches will wear out and youll need to spend $50 on a rebuild kit and take it all apart again... or leave it "open" until you feel like screwin with it. when you get the unit, get one with hardly any miles on it and/or rebuild what you get... EBAY! do it! no regrets!

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

The trac-loc is a great unit for winter driving. It's a limited slip unit and not a locker. I'm in Minnesota and nothing sucks like just having one wheel spinning in the snow or ice while you are trying to get going. Having both wheels that will drive is the only way to go. And if you are swapping gears it makes no sense not to swap in a limited slip unit at the same time.

Comment

I've decided to go with a trac-lock. I'll just have to adjust to the handling in the winter. Thanks, guys.

----------------------------
                Justin

Comment

my white CV, Vickie, has a 2.71 trac-loc and have driven down roads where the plow didnt go. i live on a gravel road and didnt have to adjust. now that i have Baby, she has an open 3.08. i had to adjust my driving since it is an open rearend. that is gonna change. i am gonna put a mustang trac-lock in her so that i can get around as good as driving Vickie. whats the difference between posi and and trac loc?
                  Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

We've been learning about Diffs in class this week, and all I can say is:

Trac Lok or nothin

/nod
                    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

PosiTraction is a GM term for the same thing Ford calls the Traction Lock. The posi is not rebuildable, and you have to replace the whole rear if it fails. A trac-lock is rebuildable for about $50 in parts. You also don't need to swap the whole axle assembly to install one. Just chane out the carrier and you're good to go.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A slight offtopic here, which is better - a limited slip or a locker? We have asome 8.8 locker at school, it seems in good condition and it's soo temtingly unattended all the time just sitting on a table in one of the classrooms... JK!

And how about a spool, the thing that makes your rear axle like a one piece one - how does it affect driving, except for the fact one wheel will be breaking loose while turning in parking lots and tight drive-through places?

Comment

i read somwhere that the posi units use clutches and that the ford units use some kinda spider gear thingies. it was really vague so i dont remember much of it.

Comment

Small Ford limited slips use clutches and a preload spring to push the side gears out at a specific tension so that they are ready to apply the clutches when the wheels start to spin

larger ford rear ends (ie 9.75" and up) just use clutches since everything is so much heavier
                            GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                            1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                            99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                            03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                            95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
                            X