Looking at head units...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at head units...

...and I'll readily admit that I'm a bit lost. I know about how much I want to spend, and what features I'd like to have, but I don't know what brands to look at. I know what always used to be good names years ago, but now that nobody makes tube type stuff anymore I'm not sure the good old names really apply anymore.

So here's what I'm looking at as far as what I want:

--Price around $100 or less. I know that won't get me the uber-best-cream-your-pants sound, but I be a po' li'l college student and can't afford to spend 400 bucks on something I can only listen to in the car.

--AM/FM/CD (or cassette, either way)/audio input for an mp3 player

--Preamp outputs so I can run a separate amplifier for the rear, along with speaker outputs for the front speakers.

--Doesn't look like it belongs in a spaceship. I know that's kind of rare in most stuff today, so it's not a hard and fast rule, but I'd much prefer something that doesn't scream "AFTERMARKET!!!" In other words, it ought to look as if it belongs there.

I've got a lead on 6 speakers (dash, door, and rear deck), along with an amplifier. Don't know specifics on the impedance of the speakers or anything; not sure if it makes any difference for head unit selection or not.

The other thing I'm wondering is, if I run door speakers, are those supposed to be a mid-range speaker, or what? I.e., the dash speakers are tweeters, the doors are mid-range, and the rear are low end? I'm a bit of a n00b on car audio...home stuff I can handle, but this automotive stuff is a little new.

Sorry for being so long winded, guys...just trying to provide as much information as possible so I can get specific answers.

Edit: Here's teh specifics on the amp/speakers:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showpost...71&postcount=6
    Last edited by Nathan in MI; 09-09-2007, 06:44 PM.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
    ...and I'll readily admit that I'm a bit lost. I know about how much I want to spend, and what features I'd like to have, but I don't know what brands to look at. I know what always used to be good names years ago, but now that nobody makes tube type stuff anymore I'm not sure the good old names really apply anymore.
    I was in the same boat. I just had my friend go and get what i needed. I think my head unit was like $130 (Sony, w/ remote). It isn't too elaborate although it has the necessary features (AM/FM/CD/MP3). It doesn't look like its from a space ship either. It has a knob, and a single colored screen (blue). Although the buttons are black with red numbers. I know its sucks to have to look at such a modern radio in an older car. Thats why I concealed mine in the glovebox.

I know Sony isn't the greatest name, but for what I spent, I am more than happy. I got knew speakers too, and the sound is many times better than the factory stuff was.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Eh, Sony is decent stuff. I still don't get the idea of having a remote control for something that's a foot and a half away from your hand, though. Got a picture and/or model number(s)?

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Well, mine is in the glovebox. So a remote was mandatory; or else the destruction of my vehicle from a loss of concentration would result.

Model number? I threw the box out. Maybe I can get some pics.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Okay, I'd appreciate it if it's convenient for ya.

Comment

sounds to be the CDX-GT20W by Sony. it has something like 52w x 4, has a remote, preout for the amp, and a works as sub out or amp thru the pre out wires. i have a sony in my car that sounds good also but it isnt that model. mine was cheaper from wal-mart with all same features. for sound in my car since it is made the same as on described except no remote, it is powering the illuminites from wallmart in the doors and rear. i had other speakers but the illuminites are better sounding to the radio.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Denon DCT-950R. I have one, with a remote, too. Used to be in the Vic before I put in an Eclipse DVD headunit. The car is now stereoless. Look into it, if you're interested PM me. (BTW, I have not yet owned another HU with a cleaner signal).

Comment

I'm still pretty happy with the old JVC in my truck. Been in there the 6 years I owned it and I had it in the Dakota before this. Never given me any trouble, its easy to navigate, and it doesn't look too tacky. This one here is a bit fancier than mine, but it looks to fit your requirements without being too horrible looking

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17386

Pioneer that doesn't look too bad and covers the bases. I've had good luck with Pioneer stuff in the past, including a few car stereos that worked for years and years without fault. Good tuners too usually.
                http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=17381

both of those are the cheapest models by that particular brand I found on that site. Never bought anything there, no idea if they're any good or not. It was just a google hit.

I'm actually thinking about replacing my Kenwood. It works fine and all, I just don't like the interface. Its a pain in the ass to navigate the options to get it to do what I want, and the mp3 file display format is really bad too. It won't display artist and title. Its either/or and it won't auto-flip back to the clock which is really dumb.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, Thain. Those are both decent looking units.

Another question has arisen out of my new-found knowledge...given what's on the market today, is just about anything I look at going to have both speaker outputs and preamp outputs? I'd like to have that option since I'll likely be getting an amp anyway. May not use it immediately, but if I get a subwoofer for it, it'd be good to have.

Comment

Look around for a used Pioneer. Pioneer rocks.
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

pretty much anything you get will have your regular positive and negative wiring for LF, RF, LR, RR speakers along with your preamp RCA tail from the back of the radio. whatever you do, do not get the VR3 or the Dual stereos at wal-mart. VR3 sounds like crap and the Dual you dont have the sound control for the mids. your price range i would go for a JVC or Sony from Wal-Mart. if i got another Stereo it would have to have High Def radio and be Sirius satellite ready. since 2009 they are going to get rid of regular tv and only have the digital stuff i am sure radio is not far behind. i would try to plan ahead instead of pay now and pay again later for a radio that cant pick up a local station because it is outdated.
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Mine is a Sony (similar to CDX-R505X) also, with remote. I can finger the remote without having to take my eyes off the road. If I played with the buttons on the head unit, I'd have to look at it. So, it's a good safety item.
                        am/fm, satelite ready, cd's and mp3's. I used Crutchfields site for research, and waited until they discontinued the model, and bought the unit from a stereo clearing house. Saved me about $150. Can't remember what the site was, though. Denon units are awesome, if you want to spend that kind of money.
                        found a site selling the R505X http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=16948 that's about the same deal I got on mine, pricewise.
                        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

crutchfield.com has a nice pioneer that plays mp3's for 94 bucks.....they also give you a free install kit and wire harness adaptor

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

ALPINE....they make OEM stuff for Lamborghini,Benz,BMW,I'm not sure on VW there sorta cheep when it comes to that stuff. and you can get a 6 disk CD changer for a Benz that looks like it belongs in there AND I'm sure there would be a way to hook up a MP3 player like an I-pod if the head unit is new enough.
                            I'd look in pawn shops and see if they got anything...And if you go that way I would ask them to prove that it works if it's a good respectable shop they will and if not walk away and tell all your Buddy's about it...lol
                            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I've been using the same base model $100 pioneer for a couple years now and its never let me down. Only problem I have is radio stations from philadelphia and baltimore clash right on my driveway and make listening to music useless.
                              -Matt
                              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
                              X