Underdrive Pulley a MUST HAVE for HOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underdrive Pulley a MUST HAVE for HOs

I just installed my ASP underdrive crank pulley and OMG! No more screaming accessories! My engine never sounded like an engine, it just sounding like a bunch of crap spinning fast. Now it sounds so much better and the power I got was simply amazing!

So anyone out there with an HO should definitly get te ASP underdrive pulley! Absolutely worth the $200 total cost after the pulley and new belts!

The back belt was 2.5" shorter and the front belt was a little over 3" shorter. For the front belt I need a 1/2" larger but no belts are made it the specific size I needed. My belts were different from stock anyways so posting exactly what I got won't help anybody.

The ASP underdrive pulley ($150)
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 09-13-2007, 10:24 PM.

Hmm, I've been saying this for years.... Glad you finally decided to listen!

LMAO.... Hehe
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Indeed! When I ordered this thing I had just woken up and rolled out of bead and for some reason was possessed to purchase this item before I even got dressed. I'm not sure why but for some reason that was the first thing I did and I had no prior intention of doing so.

Comment

Funny, I'd thought you had a HO-style serpentine setup.

Did you happen to measure the diameter of this pulley versus the stock one? (though yeah, it says 25%, so one would presume the ratio is 3:4)
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Nah, I have a pretty crappy hodge-podge mesh. The alternator belt setup is pretty much stock just minus the water pump pulley. And the rear runs the reverse rotation water pump and the AC.

Comment

That's pretty funny.

It's definately needed. Especially for open track. Probably moreso for autox, since I run locked in 1st and wind the motor out.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Uslydawg (Bob) documented a .2 improvement on his car just from the pulley.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

But is that .2 worth $200? It seems like a lot of money to shell out, but I'd love to see how it would effect S.U.'s performance.

Comment

Ain't Mustang pulleys cheaper? If no A/C in the Panther, can a Stang pulley be used?

Comment

Everything has to be changed to run the mustang setup. EVERYTHING. Even though I use the mustang water pump, I pull the pulley flange out to the end of the shaft to line up with the crown Vic crank pulley. So I would have to replace that as well.

Mustang setup differs in where the alternator is, where the AC is, how far from the front face of the engine everything is. It's not that simple to just change over. Every accessory bracket is different.

Maybe I realize more of a difference because I have a manual trans, but I definitly have gotten more than 2 tenths of a second on a quarter mile. And the sound and response improvements are completely worth it.

WITHOUT A DOUBT! If you plan to do an HO conversion, buy this part before you even buy the HO intake! I would lay money that it would have a noticeable improvement in performance even on the LOPO motor!

Comment

ive got an under drive pulley for a mustang, i never installed it because it looks about 1/8" too short to function properly
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                        ive got an under drive pulley for a mustang, i never installed it because it looks about 1/8" too short to function properly
                        1/8" ain't bad at all, as long as you got a lathe/mill and some scrap aluminum/steel... Something I may be looking into eventually for the next summer.

Comment

Spacing is wrong to use a Mustang pulley. Probably could be done if you make a spacer up but unless you have access to that, you'd be paying as much to have someone machine the proper spacer + buy the pulley as you would to get a direct fit item.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, we have a shop and school, and I'm pretty handy with the equipment there. Also now that my car don't have a roof I don't really need the A/C no more, so there ain't no necessity to run the passenger-side belt, so a Mustang underdrive pulley may just be the ticket for me - I think it will go well with the 4.10s I wanna install in the rear.
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

i'm all confuzzled here.

i have the stock Lopo setup, how the f am i supposed to use the mustang underdrive for this?
                              LTD is still here

Comment

Working...
                              X