Suspension Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Failure

Well guys, without being able to get under the car i am going to guess that my lower ball joint failed on me today. my passenger side was not making any noise. this is the side that was making noise last summer. i took a pin adapter on my grease gun and filled it up, then i put some silicone over it so it would not leak out.

if you have a car that is 7-8 years old with 70-100k mile on your car, you seriously ought to replace some parts on your front suspension so this doesn't happen to you. i had no new signs that anything was wrong.

i am glad i was just in my driveway and not on the highway(which is where i was headed). you guys might have never seen me again.

here are a couple of night pics...

2000 HPP Mods
    15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
    9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

yeah looks like a ball joint failure. Usually when they make noise, its best to just replace it. Adding grease might quiet it down but usually its already worn beyond the service limit. 100k on balljoints is usually about all they're good for. I'd replace the other side while you're at it, its probably not much better.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i am replacing the entire front suspension on friday. i am not playing around with this.

2000 HPP Mods
      15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
      9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

yeah balljoint failure glad it was only in your driveway glad it did not fuck up your tire

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Holy crap!.....I bet you where pretty shaken up after seeing that!.....I'd say it's time for an upgrade!
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

SWEET Low Rider! ....but I think you got a bit too much camber.

Glad you were in the driveway, that shit would not be fun on the road, and you'd have to replace the fender as well.

Comment

it was kinda funny about a week ago, i got to see a box, aero, and a whale all together...

old lady in an aero vic popped a ball joint about oh, 3 dealerships down from the ford dealer in the auto mall. Old man husband showed up in his box town car to pick her up. Deerfield township Sherriff's whale was directing traffic around her

but yea, check that stuff every oil change, if there's play replace
              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

well, the car was picked up by a tow truck today. the driver was a friend of the family, so thankfully, he was very careful to not hurt my car. we had to get my jack under the balljoint to ease it up the ramp.

after the repair, hopefully there is no other damage other than removed paint on the bottom of the front bumper from hitting the ground.

2000 HPP Mods
                15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

shame youre not closer to me

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

drove on this lower for a few years
                    Attached Files
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      drove on this lower for a few years
                      ouch!

2000 HPP Mods
                      15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
                      9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Mine looked like that, but amazingly had no play. Probably was packed full of rust. I've heard stories of balljoint fails at highway speed, I think about 2 weeks ago a member on another forum I frequent relayed a story of an aero Vic he saw lose a LBJ on the highway, said the guy zigzagged across 3 lanes of traffic before getting it off the side of the road. Amazingly no accidents were caused by that. Scary stuff.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Holy Shit Mang!!!! So what happened? Were you leaving the driveway and the thing just broke? Bet that shook you up a lot.

Comment

Thats what I said.....lol
                            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Originally posted by BigJon View Post
                              ... i had no new signs that anything was wrong.
                              Did it get regularly checked for play? what kind of inspections do you have?? most shops would not have bothered to unload the lower ball joint to check for play
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X