Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

state inspection

i have a 1987 country squire lx 302 with 178,000
    and have to get it inspected. i need to get it to pass and in ny there is a visual and emission test.
    i think it runs rich cause it is speed density.all smog parts are on but im worried about emissions any help
    on lowering emission would help

thank you

What state for one?

They don't run rich because of the speed density. They run rich from needing a tuneup or a vacuum leak usually. First best bet would be to tune the car up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv valve, grommet, screen, air filter, fuel filter, and make sure the timing is correct. Past that, make sure all the vacuum lines are good, and there are no leaks. Check it for codes, and fix anything that comes up. If its running normally at that point, have it tested. If it fails, find out what it failed for and by how much and we might be able to point you in the right direction.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
      i have a 1987 country squire lx 302 with 178,000
      and have to get it inspected. i need to get it to pass and in editNew York there is a visual and emission test.
      i think it runs rich cause it is speed density.all smog parts are on but im worried about emissions any help
      on lowering emission would help

thank you
      Wow, I thought NY was lenient with their inspections, which is why there are a lot of people in NJ with New York plates.

Packman

Comment

I'd like to place my wager on the MAP sensor vacuum line being crapped out if she's running rich. Your cats are probably dead if it's been running rich long.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i thought you said wanger for a minute

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Wow I'm glad TN doesn't have a state inspection. I don't even have mufflers on mine...
            1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Holiday
            1964 Chrysler Newport
            1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
            1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
            sigpic

Comment

Mufflers usually ain't part of an inspection. However, TN rocks like FL does when it comes to things like that
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

non-inspection states scare me. I've seen some of the disasters those people drive. No offense but some of y'all in non-inspection states drive deathtraps.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

where in ny are you from? i got mine to pass with no smog pump, or egr. And i have hollowed out cats

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeast86 View Post
                    Wow I'm glad TN doesn't have a state inspection. I don't even have mufflers on mine...
                    hehe - yeah, I was going to say, he should move to MI or IN and be done with it!
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm a licensed NYS inspector.....

Your car is pre-OBD II, so as long as your cats and smog pump are in place you will pass, running rich is not an issue unless you live in NYC and get the tailpipe test.
                      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                        Wow, I thought NY was lenient with their inspections, which is why there are a lot of people in NJ with New York plates.

Packman
                        Thain takes his Towncar through inspection, and he doesn't even have that thermactor shit on. He passes. i don't think they really care about the older cars. Cause you can't really do anything to them.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          non-inspection states scare me. I've seen some of the disasters those people drive. No offense but some of y'all in non-inspection states drive deathtraps.
                          I agree with you. I wouldn't mind a more lenient inspection thing. But hey, if everything works the way it should then I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
                            I'm a licensed NYS inspector.....

Your car is pre-OBD II, so as long as your cats and smog pump are in place you will pass, running rich is not an issue unless you live in NYC and get the tailpipe test.
                            Out of curiosity, is there anyone from new jersey who is a State licensed inspector? Give me like a general idea on what I should look out for when I go to take Vicky to get her inspected. And is there any special crap I have to go through, since she hasn't been on the road since 2000.

Comment

before inspection (in any state really, they're all more or less this way), make sure all the lights work, your mirrors are in place and not broken, no busted glass. Tires need to be 3/32 I think, may differ state to state, but if you can see the top of Lincoln's head, the tires are shot.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=51

Dryrot cracks in the sidewall, or deep ones in the tread are bad. Front suspension should have a general check for looseness in the parts, side to side is for steering parts, up/down is for balljoints. The suspension has to be loaded for that. Brakes shouldn't pull, and all 4 need to work. Here they wont pull the wheels to check rotor thickness, but if its metal to metal, its probably going to fail for that. Car cannot smoke out of the tailpipe, and probably if its leaking enough oil to create a cloud, its not a good sign. They will check the gas cap, haven't had one fail yet but I don't know how to really check that without their tester doodad. Horn must work. Wipers must work. No exhaust leaks. No jagged metal (rust). Shift indicator has to function, or with a stick, a shift pattern must be visible somewhere. Parking brake must work also. It doesn't have to hold the car with the pedal at WOT, but it will need to hold it in gear with some pedal applied.

You'll also need a current insurance card, registration, and driver's license. Both plates must be on the car in the proper location. I would also suggest driving it for several days to make sure its running well, and go to the inspection station once its completely warmed up. You will get a dyno test, which is a lot easier to pass than an idle test.

Comment

Working...
                              X