shopping for a carb. all suggestions welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shopping for a carb. all suggestions welcome

Ok for those that don’t know my 302 has a mild rebuild. I've already decided on an edelbrock performer intake manifold. I was looking at Holley's lowrider avenger carb. But unfortunately it is only available in 670 cfm. And I think that’s too much. I’m also concerned about stalling at extreme angles. And what is the point of a double pumper? All I really know is I want a 4 barrel. And I don't really want to make a lot of adjustments to make it run right

A 600 or even 500 cfm Edelbrock 4bbl would be a good choice.

Don't forget the lokar kit!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

whats a lokar kit

Comment

It's the stainless steel cable setup required to run an AOD with a 4bbl carb.

It also looks cool...

Another option is to mod a regular holley 600 cfm to the specs of a low-rider carb. I forget what they do...

Comment

dont rock crawlers run carbs. they do extreme angles without stalling

Comment

Well, usually they run EFI...

Apparently it can run upside down, lol...

Comment

I hear Edelbrock carbs rarely run well right out of the box, Holleys generally have a better reputation when it comes to that. Now fine tuning a Holley for best performance and fuel economy can be (and usually is) a major bitch, but if you don't really care about super-duper great numbers getting it close to perfect is easy. For lowrider use you may find the Holley Truck Avenger suitable, it's supposedly designed for climbing and serious offroading, and can be had in 470cfm too:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Edit: double-pumper is when the secondaries are mechanically linked to the primaries and always open just as much as you tell them to, no matter if that's what the engine needs or not. Term "double-pumper comes from the fact they have an accelerator pump in the secondary bowl too, something not necessary with vacuum-operated secondaries. Generally good for lighter vehicles (Holley recommends 3500lb and down, IIRC), for trucks and heavy cars running in variety of conditions Holley folks highly suggest using a carb with vacuum secondaries as they can be tuned to the particular flow demands of your engine - not so much the case with the double pumper, unless you got an older one with the long linkage rod that you can bend to adjust the secondary dealy.
              Last edited by ; 10-12-2007, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Edelbrock's got their Thunder Series offroad carbs such as this one:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The Holley 0-90470 is probably a more appropriate size, though.

Funny story about Holleys running well out of the box but not Edelbrocks; that's in direct contradiction to my experience with the Edelbrocks (both of mine ran decently on stock calibration, in addition to being easy enough to tune even I can do it) as well as other reports I've heard where someone ditched a Holley that wouldn't even run. Could be it was a used carb that had problems with it, though.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Chachi View Post
                  dont rock crawlers run carbs. they do extreme angles without stalling
                  the truck avenger is the best bet for that, but EFi is a better choice.

as for running out of the box, my Holley 650DP right out of the box, no adjustments other than idle ran with a 14.2 AFR, even now the only other adjustment is jets, although i do need a bigger squirter since i go well over 18:1 AFR when i punch it
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Question about the Edelbrocks - where the hell are their fuel bowls? And how large are they, compared to the Holley jugs? Also the 302 running at 5500rpms with 100%VE requires only 480cfm airflow, so unless Chachi gots some crazy-flow heads and revvs the hell outta his engine that 650 Edelbrock is way too much of a carb, and as we all know overcarbing ain't good. Something about Holleys that seems real nice to me is the availability of aftermarket gadgets like Percy's Adjust-A-Jet blocks, which practically elliminate the need for taking bowls off when adjusting jetting -too bad they ain't got those for my Holley, but tis a freak of nature so even finding the right bowl gasket is a challenge sometimes.

Comment

My edelbrock ran great right out of the box. My 750HP custom carb didnt, but there's eleventy billion more adjustments on it over the edelbrock

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

The fuel bowls are on the left and right side of the motor when the carb is mounted, no gaskets below the fuel level.They feed vertically through the jets.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                        '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                        '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
                          The fuel bowls are on the left and right side of the motor when the carb is mounted, no gaskets below the fuel level.They feed vertically through the jets.
                          Aaha, got it, Q-jet style, cool stuff. The only PITA with my Holley realy is that I have to take the fuel bowls off for jets/floats adjustment (pisses fuel, tears up gaskets), but that's all cause I got the 4165 which noone makes parts for - any squarebore Holley will have externally adjustable floats and be able to run aforementioned jet-adjusters too. Speaking of which, are the Edelbrock jets & floats ones easily accessible?

Comment

It's not too bad. You already know about the metering-rod system, where the metering rods and stepup springs can be swapped by loosening/removing one screw each - they're just hidden under little plates right next to the primary venturi. Jet changes and float adjustments do require removing the top of the carb, but my experience thus far is that that doesn't have to be done very often at all.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

so do you guys think the HLY-0-90470 is my best choice? that is one ugly carb... does it come in chrome?
                              As far as motor work its been bored .030 decked .015. the heads are factory but not from my car. im not sure what they came off of but thay are more closed chambered than mine stock one.the pistons are hypernewatever, and it has a mild cam from lunati. other than that it was a stock rebuild

Comment

Working...
                              X